How does setting up a website work?

Brownz

Hey how does setting up a website work for example I see that website designers charge $50 for a website design, do I have to pay a fee each time I want to edit the website if its in html or word press or osomthing?

No usually it's a one time fee for website design... Wordpress is easy to setup a site with. Bandzoogle, Wix, etc. Hopefully someone that makes website can really give more info or help you out. I used wordpress to design our site + artisteer.

I have a wix website but I'm not sure if I should pay per month its also in flash aswell so I'm not too sure but I really like the website do you pay for your website each month I'm just trying to think of the most budgetting way possible

Check out www [dot] hiphopmakers [dot] com. I brought my theme from them it's very simple to use and requires no web design experience or anything like that, plus it's fully customisable. My site is essentially powered by Wordpress and then I have the hiphopmakers theme installed which gives me complete power and control over my site with NO monthly payments, just one off payment and that's it. Check out my site and see if you like what I've done baring in mind I have no web design experience at all. Check it: www [dot] messybeatz [dot] com. Hope that helpsPeace

If you get someone to build a customized website, is there a way you'd be able to edit it, update stories, etc without having to go to that person who built the site?

ok

this is not rocket science but it sure feels like it sometimes

A web designer makes their money from the initial site design and then by being kept on retainer for updates/alterations/etc.

There are three parts to website creation
  1. obtaining a domain name which is a fixed price per year (never get yourself a free one with a web-hosting company because your brand could walk if you decide to change hosts - most web-hosts register the domain name in the name of their ceo and charge exit fees to recover what is essentially your trademark)
  2. obtaining hosting, which is a fixed price per month and should reflect your expected usage - i.e. don't get the cheapest package if you plan on generating mega traffic - get the virtual private server package or better - it will cost more but you are guaranteed that they won't take you down for sudden increase in traffic that you have no control over (most of the cheap packages allow the webhost to shut you down with no warning and no e-mail to tell you why - you discover by accident that you have been out-of-business for several days some time after the fact - read the small print and the fine print and the superfine print before committing)
  3. the actual design of the site, including graphics, sales channels, content, display and so on.

Your designer may handle all three aspects for you as an agent, but you need to make sure that you own the domain name and that your are the person who is in charge of the hosting plan - i.e.e you get all e-mail related to the management of the account and that you the primary authority on how the account is managed.

I have an outline proposal that demonstrates each aspect of the business model if you are interested.

Fundamentally as a web designer I design the site and do basic site maintenance for the 3 months after going live for an agreed fee that reflects the nature of the maintenance work.

For me there are three types of site maintenance:
  1. Proprietor errors - content errors that were approved by the site owner but are later found to be incorrect
  2. Designer errors - content errors and such that are found after the site has gone live
  3. system errors - internal server errors that can arise for any number of reasons, usually related to database issues and running out of hard drive space

Errors of the first type must be paid for by the proprietor as it is due to their failure to catch the error that leads to the problem.
Errors of the second are automatically fixed at my expense, as I was at fault in some way.
Errors of the third type have to be paid for by the proprietor as it is an error outside the control of the designer.

If a customer wishes to assume responsibility for their own maintenance, I will provide them with basic training for a fee. I will also be available to assist if they run into something that is beyond their skill level (again for a fee), I may even write up the procedure for their use later on.

Please ask more questions

Last edited:
I have a wix website but I'm not sure if I should pay per month its also in flash aswell so I'm not too sure but I really like the website do you pay for your website each month I'm just trying to think of the most budgetting way possible

I only pay for my hosting which is $9.95 a month and the flash player is $9.99 but I make all that money back from selling beats. You can use free plugins that help set up your website with Wordpress which helped me out big time. Not too difficult at all or spending too much.

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

If you get someone to build a customized website, is there a way you'd be able to edit it, update stories, etc without having to go to that person who built the site?

Yup that's very possible as well.

I only pay for my hosting which is $9.95 a month and the flash player is $9.99 but I make all that money back from selling beats. You can use free plugins that help set up your website with Wordpress which helped me out big time. Not too difficult at all or spending too much.

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Yup that's very possible as well.

Price of web hosting with Wix | Wix.com Answers

$9.90 per month for wix 5gb bandwith 1gb storage is wix what you use?

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Pricing Information, Coupons and Premium Upgrades **edit**

No usually it's a one time fee for website design... Wordpress is easy to setup a site with. Bandzoogle, Wix, etc. Hopefully someone that makes website can really give more info or help you out. I used wordpress to design our site + artisteer.

This.

Get hosting from webhosting services like HostGator or someone else. Then setup wordpress (it's very easy, look up tutorials) and play around with it. It's very easy to post updates & news, because it's a CMS. You can get different themes and plugins to customize it to your needs.

I also like the theme MessyBeatz posted. Looks dope.

Hey OP just I use free hosting from host-ed.net for my website. They are fast and free it's really great. Then all you need is a domain name wich is like 4 bucks if you have the right coupon code :D. And if you are a beginning site admin I advise you to use wordpress it's pretty straight forward and you can install themes from other people. When you get used to it and know html/css it's not that hard to build you rown theme

You should get a good designer to make you a great WordPress site. Then learn how to make minor changes to your site through wordpress. You can als tell your designer you will pay them 30 dollars for a problem that you have that you can't fix yourself. You always pay for a good quality site. Your best bet is to find someone you know personally that will give you a deal. Always check their portfolio for other sites they have done to make sure you are comfortable giving your money to them. Good Luck!

Most reputable designers are not cheap. They have a solid understanding of what work is involved and know that a quality site takes time to set up. when it comes to web design cheap is never better.

$.02

Back