How does music on the radio work?

Nine of kings

I sent my music to a local (New England) radio station and got a reply. The man in charge wants to interview me and talk about airplay with me. I'm just wondering how does that work? Are there contracts to sign, or just an agreement to use my music? Will other radio stations be able to play my music, and if so do I have to make some kind of agreement with them? Does anyone have experience with this?

what PRO are you signed to I don't know about UK but here in U.S. BMI and ASCAP will protect your interest and get your money for radio spins

I'm completely unsigned, literally made an album in my basement, sent it to the station, they said yes... So I guess I'll just have to figure it out with the manager when I get there.

Man i made a sample beat and sent it to a local kid and he got that ish on the radio...none of us saw any money but i suggest figuring out cause im pretty sure that if they really wanted to go ham i could be fined for making that beat. so make so ur straight...

but at the same time....are they really gonna come after me?

Last edited:
you need to sign up with a PRO simple man
it's free through BMI
these things should be research before you send out your music...
if you need help with business side of things click here

all that ish cost money though we were just doing it for fun. I understand that technically I could still be fined but I didnt know that then. And the kid still doesnt know it i bet lol.

The Music Bridge :: "All Clear" - Music Clearance Primer

but if you're not using samples just go to the BMI page sign up and when ever your song is played you'll get some money

check out my publishing thread here
and check out the sticky threads at the top of this section of FP

This however is true. But does it not cost to register even an original?

And also even if you do use samples you may be blessed enough to work out a deal where you can split publishing profit with the owners until a fee is payed, however most want payment upfront from small time artists.

Correct me if Im wrong.

Join BMI
Join the more than 500,000 top songwriters, composers and music publishers who have chosen BMI to ensure they get paid when their music gets played.

It's free for songwriters and takes about 5 minutes to complete.

1.songwriters/composer
2.publisher
3.classical composer
are the three choices you have
it's $150 to sign up as a indiviual publisher
and $250 to sign up as company publisher

most copyright owners are going want to have a upfront fee and then some royalities

when you make sampled based beats now days you have to be mindful of who you select
back it the day artists didn't charge as much as they are charging now

copyright owners are getting smart and eat well off rap stars who use sample based instrumentals

sell the sampled-based beat to an artist then it's the artist responsible to clear the samples
you got your money and that's it
but it could affect your royality points if you get any and your publishing because the sample wasn't cleared and the song didn't make the album..

Join BMI
Join the more than 500,000 top songwriters, composers and music publishers who have chosen BMI to ensure they get paid when their music gets played.

It's free for songwriters and takes about 5 minutes to complete.

1.songwriters/composer
2.publisher
3.classical composer
are the three choices you have
it's $150 to sign up as a indiviual publisher
and $250 to sign up as company publisher

most copyright owners are going want to have a upfront fee and then some royalities

when you make sampled based beats now days you have to be mindful of who you select
back it the day artists didn't charge as much as they are charging now

copyright owners are getting smart and eat well off rap stars who use sample based instrumentals

sell the sampled-based beat to an artist then it's the artist responsible to clear the samples
you got your money and that's it
but it could affect your royality points if you get any and your publishing because the sample wasn't cleared and the song didn't make the album..

Ive read about that sell the sample and say its artist responsibility to clear it but is that really legal? I mean as long as you make the artist aware of the sample source and that it must be cleared, i can see charging for the time it took to make the derrivitive work but technically cant it fall on you if the artist fails to clear the sample? Would a court look at it as being paid for you time and not off using the copyrighted sample, or would they see it as you trying to beat the system? What is the real legality on that issue?

And also, is that a one time fee at sign up then you just submit your music for free, or a one time fee then smaller fees with every submission?

Also, you must take into account that in order to submit a song to BMI you must register the copyright, which is around 35 dollars when done online.

So, what we are looking at is a $35 dollar fee to register the copyright,

according to tone $150 to sign with BMI as an individual publisher, so thats $185 so far, and then what?

Once again correct me if Im wrong.

yep you can sign up as a publisher as well
start off signing up as a singwriter/composer first then
if you want pay $150 to sign up as publisher

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Ive read about that sell the sample and say its artist responsibility to clear it but is that really legal? I mean as long as you make the artist aware of the sample source and that it must be cleared, i can see charging for the time it took to make the derrivitive work but technically cant it fall on you if the artist fails to clear the sample? Would a court look at it as being paid for you time and not off using the copyrighted sample, or would they see it as you trying to beat the system? What is the real legality on that issue?

And also, is that a one time fee at sign up then you just submit your music for free, or a one time fee then smaller fees with every submission?

Also, you must take into account that in order to submit a song to BMI you must register the copyright, which is around 35 dollars when done online.

So, what we are looking at is a $35 dollar fee to register the copyright,

according to tone $150 to sign with BMI as an individual publisher, so thats $185 so far, and then what?

Once again correct me if Im wrong.

in this day and age a producers usually doesn't have a production budget that could support clearing budgets
the way 90% Of producers who sample do is they sell the beat to the artist then artist uses his recording/album budget to have a lawyer or clearance company set up a deal with the copyright owner of the sample and go from there
the producer is complety out of the picture

now so ppl like Kanye West who is artist and producer has a "huge" recording budget
see most copyright owners want a advance and then points/royalities on the song

not trying to be a jerk but i dont really see how your out of the picture if youre making money off of someones copyrighted work. Ill just have to do my own research on it. Not to say I wouldnt do it I probably would sell a sample beat but i just want to know the real legality of it. And how much it would cost not only for a sample clearance and registration just in case but also just for registration? This is still a little un clear to me.

I have 50+ sampled songs registered, nothing is cleared and no problem. These guys are not in the business of listening to every song that's registered and checking for possible copyright infringement.

Technically it's illegal, but it takes somebody who stands to lose from your song to hear it and take action. I'm fairly confident that none of the artists I have sampled are tuning in to my city's underground rap shows.

Registering as a publisher is something different altogether, this is when an individual or group takes ownership of many different artists music and is actively pushing for placements in advertising/TV/Film etc. With the artist getting a percentage of whatever royalties come in for their music.

Anyway, it's well worth registering your work, I get a nice little chunk (not much but better than nothing!) deposited in my bank account every couple of months.

I have 50+ sampled songs registered, nothing is cleared and no problem. These guys are not in the business of listening to every song that's registered and checking for possible copyright infringement.

Technically it's illegal, but it takes somebody who stands to lose from your song to hear it and take action. I'm fairly confident that none of the artists I have sampled are tuning in to my city's underground rap shows.

Registering as a publisher is something different altogether, this is when an individual or group takes ownership of many different artists music and is actively pushing for placements in advertising/TV/Film etc. With the artist getting a percentage of whatever royalties come in for their music.

Anyway, it's well worth registering your work, I get a nice little chunk (not much but better than nothing!) deposited in my bank account every couple of months.

Ok thanks that cleared it up a little for me. Now how much does it cost to register and can you register like....20 songs at once say?

How much does it cost to register with BMI after the 35 dollar copyright if being a indie publisher isnt the way to go (I can see why)?

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

in reference to an older post I made here, BMI does NOT require that you own an official copyright to register, and its free to register your song with them.

http://www.bmi.com/faq/entry/how_much_does_it_cost_to_register_my_songs_with_bmi

Last edited:
^^^ I doubt it but im not sure. Registering it with itunes just makes you able to sell the song on itunes Id think but like I said not 100 on that

as soon as you make a song or instrumental you own a copyright be you should register that copyright to prove ownership

now as someone samples your song you registered you can ask them to not to release the song using your music or you can work out of deal where you get a advance amount of money and then points/royalities on that song

always register your copyright
and join a PRO =BMI,ASCAP,etc....

Back