How do you organize an event?

matthewm77

I've been really inspired lately to organize an event in my city to showcase these amazing underground sounds and artists that I'm into. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience doing that and can lead me in the right direction. Thanks!

I read something about this guy who got stwo a deal with 40 about how he did something like this in university.

"Growing up in Bedford, Nova Scotia, Cole had to pay his way through university, so he started throwing parties and shows with his roommate"

Last edited:
Essentially you will be starting a micro business every time you do this sort of thing. Get you a basic "business plan spreadsheet" and fill in the blanks. If you've ever been to an event like that, remember the total experience..EVERY part has to be planned out and accounted for. The KING question...Who is paying for it, how much are they putting in, how much will it cost, when will outside investor's money be paid back?

Business Logistics
Can you afford this type of venture? Can you get loans? Can you get sponsor's? Can you get investor's? What legal entity will you use? How will you promote/market the event? Who is paying for that? How much will promotion/marketing cost? Will any sponsor's/investor's assist in promotion? How much insurance will be needed?

Venue Logistics
Where will it take place? What/who will the venue provide? Size of performance area? Seating? Lights? Sound? Refreshments? Bathroom's? Cleaning? What/who do you need to sub-contract out? When will they be contracted to be there, how long, how much? Who is performing? When will it take place? What time? What date? Rehearsal time? Logistics/backstage management? Age restraint's? Security needed? Security cost? Parking? Will vendor's be allowed? Will there be an entrance fee? How much is the entrance fee? How long is the event expected to last? How much insurance will be needed?

Performance Logistics
What artist need to be paid? How much? When will the payment be made? How will it be made? What artist will be paying to perform? When will the payment be made? How will it be made? How long is their individual performance expected to last? How much insurance will be needed? Will any sponsor's/investor's assist in promotion? Contingencies for no-show's and miscalculations? Who's hosting? DJ? Filler entertainment? Will they be available? Will they assist in promoting? How much insurance will be needed?

My advice, attend EVERY concert/event/promotion that pop's up in the next 6-12 month's and take meticulous note's. Contact venue owner's and promoter's of those event's and ask question's. Also, start small. 1 headlining artist at a standing room only coffee shop or banquet hall is good practice. Or even throw a THEMED party. You will still need to do the above thing's but it will be less headache's and less investment risk involved.

don't forget event insurance - just in case something goes wrong

but yes, everything above is important when planning and executing an event

Bloody Glove covered pretty much everything you need to consider.

My friends and I ran a small charity event last night. It was an auction and in the run up we were very pessimistic about how it would go. It went excellently. We exceeded targets with both attendance and money raised (which you can see as a good and bad thing).

We raised £320 (About $500) for a local charity called Kids Cancer Charity, and around 25 people attended which is great when you consider that was basically the rooms capacity. We also did very little marketing to keep it a private affair which we thought would have backfired.

I'd suggest, if you're going to do an event that's bigger than the one I was involved with, don't. It's a lot for a couple of people to get involved in, and you can't always rely on people.

Keep it small to start, and let it grow organically if you wish to run it again.

Cheers,
Jordan

Back