How do you guys find new music? (Looking to get into management/a&r)

CowboyClyde

Hey all,

Currently, I've been interning within a management label. Going forward I'm very interested in getting into management or a&r. How do you guys go about finding new, undiscovered music?

I used to do most of findings through blogs but now they are over-saturated with label influence and so forth.

Soundcloud also used to be a good alternative but now everything with high view counts or whatever, is pushed into the algorithm.

Its been getting difficult to find new music that isn't somehow connected to a label or that sort of thing....

What are some of your favorite sites, blogs, or techniques (within sites like soundcloud) for finding new music?

Thanks!

i pick an artist/producer/group then go onto discogs search their discography then look at who co produced with them or other aliases they may have. facebook is also a good place to find producer friends of big artists

If i wanted to get into management/a&r right now, i would go with Soundcloud. I don't know what you mean about Soundcloud stuff with high views being "pushed into the algorithm", all i know is that i find dope artists on Soundcloud every day and a lot of them don't even have high view counts. By that i mean their plays are below 1000. Maybe you should pay more attention to those artists who may not be popular right now but they already have good music.

I think soundcloud is still great actually, just search through groups listening to all the songs, and you're bound to find great artists, most with low view counts.

They usually come to the A&R or publisher. Everybody raps these days, to the point where A&R/publishers get so many submissions they charge people now just to submit a demo, not even guaranteeing a response.

Check out sites like Broadjam, Muzache, and PMP. Check out SoundCloud. Follow producer's on social media and a lot of upcoming artists follow them.

You shouldn't really have to work hard at it. Just join those sites and let people know who you are and what you can offer.

When I try to find new music, I use Soundcloud and search from peoples playlists. For example, if you want to find trap music, search for trap playlists. Because sometimes people have found those hidden gems. :D

Last edited:
Back