How do you get in touch with placements?

JMFLYproductions

Placements are hard to come by, but how do you even begin sending them off to artists, labels, comapnies etc....?

I do hip hop, R&B, even some pop, but would be interested in commercials and even movies... Any ideas?

Placements are hard to come by, but how do you even begin sending them off to artists, labels, comapnies etc....?

I do hip hop, R&B, even some pop, but would be interested in commercials and even movies... Any ideas?
What i usually do if i want to send something to an artist/A&R/Manager i would hit up their twitter and ask them if they are accepting any Music from unknown artist. 3 out of 50 might actually respond and maybe 1 out of 100 would say yes. but if your looking to have your music in commercials and movies you need a publisher. Find a publisher that is accepting submissions and good luck.

OK wow I almost lost faith in some of the FP community with alot of the usless responses and trolls that float around. thanks again...

Your networking skills is just as important as your production/writing skills IMO. Unless you get/have a manager that is brilliant at it. Since I started writing/producing I have also kept up to speed my networking.

Get a manager. Or start working your connections. my 2 cents.

What i usually do if i want to send something to an artist/A&R/Manager i would hit up their twitter and ask them if they are accepting any Music from unknown artist. 3 out of 50 might actually respond and maybe 1 out of 100 would say yes. but if your looking to have your music in commercials and movies you need a publisher. Find a publisher that is accepting submissions and good luck.
^^^All of that.

Don't forget to network in the real world. I'm talking about going to cheesy luncheon's and gatherings where lawyer's, teacher's, politicians ect.ect. go to. This thing is all about connections. You may even want budget trips to LA, Miami, NY, Atlanta, Nashville and attend their cheesy gatherings. I joined toastmaster's and met a programming director of a local radio station in my city. Dude was only 24 but had 10 years in the radio game. You can start a cheesy luncheon of your own too! This is why its important to plan for expansion as well. When you meet someone, introduce yourself, tell them what you do then elaborate on you immediate goal. If the last thing someone here's you say is "we're looking to expand our brand into Tv and radio marketing venue's"...the next tv, radio, marketing, advertising person they see will also get the message.

The 10 Secrets of a Master Networker, Mentors Networking Peer Groups Article | Inc.com

I have a little advice for you, first off, i manage recording artists, 2 chainz and travis porter... The best way to get placements with signed artists is to network your way up the ladder... first thing i would do is find the artists that are affiliated with the major artist... most all artists have artists under them... i would approach those artists, and also their engineers... bc all artists have engineers. I wouldnt approach managers, managers such as myself dont get to involved in the music, we leave it up to the artists.

Its all about working your way up the ladder to the major artist... Start small, and keep connecting the dots

1. Join BMI or ASCAP.

2. Send your music to Pump Audio, Cinecue, Pond5, and other music licensing companies.

3. Keep working until your royalties build up.

This is great info. I just answered a similar question in another thread. Here is what I said:

1. Network - go to industry conventions and conferences. You will meet a lot of people who work in the music industry (managers, producers, A&Rs), and this is a great way to build a good relationship with them

2. E-mailing them or Calling Them Directly - I recommend signing up for a music industry database like Bookingagentinfo.com or Contactanycelebrity, where you can get the contact information for different artists.

3. Promote Yourself Better - I know this is much easier said then done, but its the best way to stand out in a crowded market. Have you put together any beat mixtapes, and tried to market it. Not only does this help bring you exposure, but it builds your brand. If it gets big enough, major artists will seek you.

Also, I forgot to add. There are placement services like Taxi. I've never used it before but I've heard of some people having success with it. Its probably just like everything else, there will be some successes and some failures.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great info. I just answered a similar question in another thread. Here is what I said: 1. Network - go to industry conventions and conferences. You will meet a lot of people who work in the music industry (managers, producers, A&Rs), and this is a great way to build a good relationship with them2. E-mailing them or Calling Them Directly - I recommend signing up for a music industry database like Bookingagentinfo.com or Contactanycelebrity, where you can get the contact information for different artists.3. Promote Yourself Better - I know this is much easier said then done, but its the best way to stand out in a crowded market. Have you put together any beat mixtapes, and tried to market it. Not only does this help bring you exposure, but it builds your brand. If it gets big enough, major artists will seek you.Also, I forgot to add. There are placement services like Taxi. I've never used it before but I've heard of some people having success with it. Its probably just like everything else, there will be some successes and some failures.
never have heard of this 2 networking websites, are they good?

never have heard of this 2 networking websites, are they good?

They aren't really networking sites, they are more databases of the direct contact information for managers, agents, and publicists. I feel like these sites are gems that a lot of people don't know about.

I use Bookingagentinfo.com for getting my beats directly to major artists. I just e-mail their managers a little package of beats that I created specifically for their artists. Though not every manager responds, but I've had about 5% of them reach out to me telling me they like my style and to keep sending them stuff. I think I've had success because I don't dont spam them, and I contact them with their artist in mind. I also use the site for my clothing brand to get some rappers to rep my brand, I've had even more success with that. The site pretty much has every artist that I need, and if an artist isn't in the database, they'll add into the database within a week.

Contactanycelebrity is good too, and has a bigger database but was more expensive so I ended up canceling my account there.

They aren't really networking sites, they are more databases of the direct contact information for managers, agents, and publicists. I feel like these sites are gems that a lot of people don't know about.

I use Bookingagentinfo.com for getting my beats directly to major artists. I just e-mail their managers a little package of beats that I created specifically for their artists. Though not every manager responds, but I've had about 5% of them reach out to me telling me they like my style and to keep sending them stuff. I think I've had success because I don't dont spam them, and I contact them with their artist in mind. I also use the site for my clothing brand to get some rappers to rep my brand, I've had even more success with that. The site pretty much has every artist that I need, and if an artist isn't in the database, they'll add into the database within a week.

Contactanycelebrity is good too, and has a bigger database but was more expensive so I ended up canceling my account there.

sounds good

there are really the contact information of the artists ?

i have used in the past sites like mcma majorcontacts hitquartes, that are sites with A&R s , managers and so on from all music label, but they cost alot of money too, but they dont have the contact of the artist, nerver have seen a site where artist give his personal contact info s

but now i use A&R lists. because they are cheaper

sounds good

there are really the contact information of the artists ?

i have used in the past sites like mcma majorcontacts hitquartes, that are sites with A&R s , managers and so on from all music label, but they cost alot of money too, but they dont have the contact of the artist, nerver have seen a site where artist give his personal contact info s

but now i use A&R lists. because they are cheaper

Never heard of Major Contacts or MCMA before. I have used Hitquarters but didn't like it very much, its more so for getting information about A&Rs which I haven't had success with. I dont think any sites give you direct contact with the artist, it wouldn't make any sense. The artists would get bombarded with inquiries.

i think it depends on your music and how good you are and not on the page you use and how to try to network

if you are good enough they willl reply

i have used in the past, mcma , majorcontacts, blazetrack, hitquarters but now i use only some PDF A&R lists because i dont want to pay monthly for a contact database

Back