How do you get placements as a NON-Trap producer?

Guy Gabriel

I see a lot of unknown producers get placements with major trap artists all the time, it looks like those trap guys are always on the look out for new producers and they get beats from who ever as long as they're good.

Me personally, I'm really not into that, I don't even do tracks like that, my lifetime goal is to produce tracks for artists like Common, Kweli, Phonte, Royce, Saigon etc., but it seems like those dudes don't ever give the same opportunities for cats like me.

Twitter is filled with A&Rs looking for trap beats, where can I find those who look for tracks for artists of the genre I'm producing?

Thanks

Last edited:
Its harder but very doable. I don't make trap either and I find it harder to get on a lot of projects because of it too I just find artists who do not make trap. The thing I notice about the guys you mention as well is that they all say they want to talk to a person in person. I am sure there are exceptions to the rule but I have read that about those guys online more than once.

Okay time to break things down. I think your best bet is to find an artist that complements your sound and together create solid projects so that people come to you. A lot of unknown producers get placements because they make what the people want to hear, period. I don't think it shows a lack of creativity, they just want their name to build.

Now A&R's idk who your speaking with but the ones I talk with don't want trap beats at all. Trap beats are fading out. I assume you mean mixtape placements because there arent many trap beats on main stream radio. A&R's (the real ones) are always looking for that new sound. Sampling has and always been around. If you just loop thats not new, but find that way to flip it so dope that their like WOW THIS IS NEW!

Back to the artist thing, look into cats in the UK, they are serioussss about their work. I mean they have a solid following (depend on who you seek) and promote where they are trying to break into America. Trap beats are a phase.Pastor Troy, Bone Crusher, David Banner, T.I. Boyz N Da Hood, Jody Breeze and of course many others used to be the top gangsta music artists. If you listen to their production most of it was stagnant meaning the hi-hats were a steady 1/16 pattern and a random 1/8 rimshot made the record hard. Before them listen to NWA, Wu Tang Clan, Biggie, 2pac, Ice Cube, and of course many others their production sounded even more different comprised mostly of samples and one shots. (sorry to blur these time periods kind of together) but the point is it all evolves.

On the business side the music industry is still sinking and sample clearance isn't always favored. Albums arent selling nearly as big as they used to and the majoirty of money comes from touring and merchandising.

As far as the artists you named you should see that they don't put out as much music as they used to. Why? Well they created albums, not the mixtape came is fully saturated and there a lot older and wiser now. Sure the fans will support them but after awhile it just slows down. Every now and again you may hear a record but are you willing to put your time and effort for one record that isn't guarenteed? I've seen posts for cats like that asking for beats but it is far and few between. After getting so much trash the usually end up calling the SAME producers. If Joe Budden asks you to send 3 beats in 1 email w/ only 1 tag in it, yet you send 5 just in case with 50tags and a shit load of links he is going to delete them. Its a business, and if you can't follow directions why should you even be considered? those emails get flooded pretty fast.

Overall my advice to you is to build your name and client base so that the people you want to work with now will come to you eventually. You never know whose that next big thing, so use your gut and ear and have patience. Peace.

search Reverbnation and Youtube for up and coming artists
If you want help doing this and want to learn how to network in the new music business world
please contact me
or continue to DIY your way through either way blessings

-Coach Antonio

Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

A&Rs looking for trap beats? Seems like thats what they complain most about lol.

everyone chasing A&R from majors and nobody wants to put in the work and networking with up and coming artists and that's goes beyond online chats.

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Your prolly just gonna have to build up your networking ... Eventually it could land in their hands.. I mean they do put up emails for beats from time to time anyway

Of course. A&Rs from the majors have all of the money.

But the A&R's are not the ones that are cutting the checks so.

Anyway to original poster. You have to network, you have to shake hands you have to have something good to offer. It's no different than what anyone else is doing to get placements.

Okay time to break things down. I think your best bet is to find an artist that complements your sound and together create solid projects so that people come to you. A lot of unknown producers get placements because they make what the people want to hear, period. I don't think it shows a lack of creativity, they just want their name to build.

Now A&R's idk who your speaking with but the ones I talk with don't want trap beats at all. Trap beats are fading out. I assume you mean mixtape placements because there arent many trap beats on main stream radio. A&R's (the real ones) are always looking for that new sound. Sampling has and always been around. If you just loop thats not new, but find that way to flip it so dope that their like WOW THIS IS NEW!

Back to the artist thing, look into cats in the UK, they are serioussss about their work. I mean they have a solid following (depend on who you seek) and promote where they are trying to break into America. Trap beats are a phase.Pastor Troy, Bone Crusher, David Banner, T.I. Boyz N Da Hood, Jody Breeze and of course many others used to be the top gangsta music artists. If you listen to their production most of it was stagnant meaning the hi-hats were a steady 1/16 pattern and a random 1/8 rimshot made the record hard. Before them listen to NWA, Wu Tang Clan, Biggie, 2pac, Ice Cube, and of course many others their production sounded even more different comprised mostly of samples and one shots. (sorry to blur these time periods kind of together) but the point is it all evolves.

On the business side the music industry is still sinking and sample clearance isn't always favored. Albums arent selling nearly as big as they used to and the majoirty of money comes from touring and merchandising.

As far as the artists you named you should see that they don't put out as much music as they used to. Why? Well they created albums, not the mixtape came is fully saturated and there a lot older and wiser now. Sure the fans will support them but after awhile it just slows down. Every now and again you may hear a record but are you willing to put your time and effort for one record that isn't guarenteed? I've seen posts for cats like that asking for beats but it is far and few between. After getting so much trash the usually end up calling the SAME producers. If Joe Budden asks you to send 3 beats in 1 email w/ only 1 tag in it, yet you send 5 just in case with 50tags and a shit load of links he is going to delete them. Its a business, and if you can't follow directions why should you even be considered? those emails get flooded pretty fast.

Overall my advice to you is to build your name and client base so that the people you want to work with now will come to you eventually. You never know whose that next big thing, so use your gut and ear and have patience. Peace.

good advice

Back