How do you build a legitimate online following?

LangstaLang

I see producers on soundcloud who have a handful of plays, then I see some who have the same but get way more interaction and comments etc. That's what I'm trying to achieve, numbers are nice but for someone passionate about this I'd like to see people reacting to the music I put out. People excited when there's a new drop and shit. Has anyone seen a correlation with how well you interact? If I become more active, as far as liking tracks, and commenting, will I see an increase in active fans?

How did you do it?

Well,

I wouldn't say I have this down. But I collab and work for a friend who has a decent following. Around 2000 followers, and he sells out around 100+ venues. For being just a local dude, that doesn't put effort in social media, I think he does okay.

I've also worked under some prominent film composers as interns.

So here's just general talk. Not advice, or suggestions, just talk.

People mostly like music that they can identify with. Music that gives them an identity to be apart of.

I do the whole interacting with people, and its gotten me to around 240 followers. Not bad considering I work in Film, and media, not pop, or dance music.

Do you play shows, hang out in venues or have a group of friends to support you?

Don't really hang out at venues, but I don't think it's a bad idea.

I know like one person I link up w constantly, and we both give each other support but I guess I just have to get out more and network.

Then again sometimes I feel like I am but it's just me telling myself I am when my peers are putting in much smarter work.

Find other artists that you like and comment and give feedback. Re-share things. Support others. If you support others then they most likely will support you too as well

Funnily enough, I was having a conversation about this with a few people, just a couple of days ago.

Long story short, I've definitely seen a correlation between relevance and social media interaction. When I released music there was always a spike in interaction - as you'd expect. However, someone found that when they released music, there was no difference. I concluded that it must have been the way they promoted their social media when they released their music. You know - bloggers not including their twitter handle in the article, or something along those lines.

I always argue the case that big social media followings are the byproduct of an increase in your brand awareness. I also argue that social media should never be a priority. Things like a mailing list are a much better investment of your time and money compared to social media.

Anyway, your question is more directed towards platforms like Soundcloud... But with all of the things I have said considered, why bother trying to get comments/feedback? Most of the time, it won't be genuinely helpful as it's the usual "This is dope". You want constructive criticism, that's the key to improving.

Like others have said, engage/support others and you will receive the same in return. I'd definitely suggest you form some sort of group or collective where you help each other out, suggest improvements, etc. I know since forming my record label, just having artists around has led to everyone benefiting musically (and even outside of music).

Sorry for the Hell of a long answer to quite a simple question. But, I've definitely covered most aspects of the topic.

I hope I've helped!

Jordan

You get more feedback on your own music the more you comment on other people's music. When you slow down your activity on Soundcloud, you will start getting less comments, likes and plays (at least in my case lol, i am not really active on Soundcloud anymore). I haven't built a following on Soundcloud, there definitely were a few artists who kept coming back to listen and comment on my new tracks, but nothing really big. I'm not saying that it is not possible, i'm sure that you can see increase in active fans if you become more active...it's just that it takes a lot of time and you should be really interested in music that you are commenting on. Definitely post constructive criticism, i agree with Exclusivo that "This is dope" comments are usually not a good look lol.

Make good music and consistently promote it. Pay attention to what works and do more of what works.

Back