How do music producers get paid these days?

Brownz

Sup bros I'm just wondering how do music producers get paid these days? £1.00 for a single itunes takes 30% you the producer and the artist now only get 35p and music producers don't get paid for gigs so I'm just wondering how dudes are getting paid these days in terms of hiphop. Is all the money in merchandising and sponserships?

Everything is direct-2-fan now, a music artist can shop his music himself so he really don't need a producer for anything but for beats and studio recording

Seems silly to take a cut of a music artists merchandise lol

If your a producer, the money is in either:

1.) charging artists to record in your studio
2.) licensing your beats non-exclusively or exclusively
3.) Producing custom exclusive beats for artists
4.) Charging to mix/master artists tracks

There are probably more creative ways to get paid as a producer but those 4 are to get you thinking

It's 2013 man..you have to innovate

Yeah it seems these days that singles and royalties aint the way to make money since theres such a big % of it cut in itunes e.t.c

iTunes sales don't generate a lot of money. Producer gets payed for the production and the artist gets payed to perform. Royalties are getting smaller with each day cause of the piracy.

I doubt producers these days are making money off of leasing I think that its more off of exclusives advances from big Artists out there.

Im not from the states, so im not 100 percent sure on what your rules are etc.

But yes, You as a beatmaker does indeed get paid for live performances. You also get paid if your song is played on radio.
You just have to be registered at BMI/ASCAP. Am i wrong?

If an artist is interested in your beat and has a record label behind him/her then that usually also means that he or she has a budget. If the label sees this potential song as a potential hit and the artist really really wants it on his album, - then youre in a position where you can talk about prices. You're now able to demand a price for the beat.

But nope, this does'nt happen very often.

If you take this music thing seriously you should look for a music publisher or manager who can represent you and help you for example place the recorded songs (with the agreement of the artist/record label) in for example movies or commercials. There you also have opportunities for making money.

But it's a hard business of course.. Just like the "real" job market for all jobs available - there are also here in the music business limited amount of work.

Am i right or wrong? This is atleast the case in Scandinavia.

Last edited:
Scott storch, timbaland, pharrell, how do music producers get paid? WELL LOOK AT THEIR NET WORTH

Jahill beats, lex luger and young chop are already gettin big checks yo

get into video editing as well... if u can produce for an artist AND film and edit their video too, you immediately possess more value in the industry and this will translate into raising your earning potential

This is actually a good question as many of us here want to sell our beats at some point and the more we can get noticed and "learn the biz" the better. Is there maybe video out there that breaks down what a producer does to "get the beat sold"? From what I know and the producer if not know will let go of a few beats for free to get his name out there. Then from word of mouth he may get some calls and work out a price for a beat.

What we could all learn are at least the basics of talking to artist/labels and getting a contact to showcase your beats and speak about a price. If anyone has done this before lets hear from you.

There's This Man , "Postman", Who i Think is a Geenie In the Marketing Game , He Has Some Videos On Youtube about All this Business Stuff and How it All Goes Down You Should Really Check him out As i Think he's the Best out there in the Biz liveoffbeats's channel - YouTube , The Videos On Youtube are All Free, But if You want to Invest Money he Has some Other Video Guides That he Sells on his Website.
am Not With this Guy Working or Anything, i just Know he Can help yall

All methods mentioned can make money selling beats. You have to think outside the box and be creative. Creativity and Testing is the best advice I can give you. If you have any ideas and want a 2nd opinion my PM Box is always open :)

Back