How Do I Go About Sending Beats To Independent Rappers??

NICKNVME

Hi
I've sent a soundcloud rapper my page so he could check it out and he asked for some beats he liked. But I don't know how to send beats through email or what do I need to do in order to protect the rights of the beat.
Also should I send .wav or .mp3??
Also how could I approach a conversation about money with him ( if the songs make money ) ??
Do I need to put tags on it??
If he wants to buy it how much should I sell it??
Thank you.

"what do I need to do in order to protect the rights of the beat" I also seek for the answer of this question. Others depend on your will. Don't you know anything about licenses or haven't you seen any beat selling page on any website? If it is so, you're missing too much things. If you don't have a website or you won't put your beats on a beat selling website (such as beatstars) you can sell your beats through e-mail. First get the money, then send the beat and agreement. .wav or .mp3 depends on what your contracts say. Some producers send both in exclusive license, some send them in premium and it goes on like this. But normally you should give them .mp3. You cannot seek for more money when the song makes money. You just sell it, they get the license and the beat. If you're not so serious as big companies (such as Strange Music, Shady Records etc.) then even if you grant them they can sell up to 2.500 copies, they can sell more than that and they can even put the song in their album. You must pour some mad money (for lawyers and other things) to protect your beats. Tags depend on what license you grant them. It's even a better way than laws lol. If someone wants to make money over his/her song and the audience hears that tag, they will say who the hell is he supposed to be, he can't even afford a proper license bla bla.

Also, did you buy your DAW and the plugins you have used? Don't worry I won't be rat and inform the police. I hate to ruin someone's dream. I just wondered. You don't need to buy a DAW license though there's a way to evade it. And since no one questions about the plugins, don't bother yourself buying them. But when you have enough money be a good guy and buy them both plugins and DAW.

If anyone wants to be of help, please check out my thread on this forum (music industry legal marketing). I really need it's answer. I can't send the link because I don't have enough posts. But please check it out. (It's title is validity of my agreements)

Last edited:
Hi
I've sent a soundcloud rapper my page so he could check it out and he asked for some beats he liked. But I don't know how to send beats through email or what do I need to do in order to protect the rights of the beat.
Also should I send .wav or .mp3??
Also how could I approach a conversation about money with him ( if the songs make money ) ??
Do I need to put tags on it??
If he wants to buy it how much should I sell it??
Thank you.

There are numerous ways to accomplish this.

Before you send anything know the price you want and explain what he gets with his purchase (in terms of usage rights and file formats). If you aren't sure - do your homework. Look what others are charging in the market for comparable beats (market research) and peep the licensing rights that are being distributed. Triple check & compare the data you get with numerous sources.

NEXT

If you are sending beats manually you can send it via dropbox (or some alternative service that sends expiring links). Be sure to include the licensing agreement.

Also: What format you send depends entirely on your agreement with the artist.

My $.02: If you don't know what to charge you probably shouldn't be selling anything.. Take the time to learn your craft and know your value - It will be your biggest asset going forward.

Also: Before you consider "Free" understand that its hard to convince people to pay for something that they previously got for free..

Good luck

Last edited:
Back