How Do I Find a Music Manager?

Young H

@indieRAPHU$TLE
In short, you don't. Not yet, at least. There are typically two kinds of managers you deal with: those that book you shows and those that keep your life on track. As an indie guy, there's a good chance you won't have access to either starting out because you haven't gotten your chops up yet.

You haven't campaigned enough, shook enough hands, kissed enough babies or rocked enough spots. Right now is your time to grind it out, to go through conceptualizing a project, recording it and getting it to the people. Whether you're selling it or giving it away, if you work hard, people will take notice.

Book your own shows, organize your own album/EP/mixtape release party and set up your own interviews. The benefits of doing that are twofold: not only does that show your resourcefulness, it shows that your grind doesn't start and end with them. No one will work harder for you than you and you might find out you don't need a manager because you love doing it all yourself!

Hit up conventions and trade shows (like Sha Money XL's One Stop Shop) with materials in tow and network. I'd even say do that everywhere you go because you never know, that guy you meet in the elevator might just know someone who manages hip hop acts and that positive word of mouth can create the interest you're looking for. Be prepared, be about it and be creating opportunities for yourself first and foremost.

Last edited:
I agree that most people don't need managers and once they get to the point where they think they need a manager, they probably need an assistant to handle the remedial tasks.

Back