How to contact Artists?

Project Live

Hello all, I haven't made a sale in a couple months and its really starting to get to me. Ive effectively branded myself with an original, professional logo. Ive created a professional, easy to use website. I sell my own merchandise. I have a youtube channel that gains subscribers and views without me having to spam. I have a twitter profile with thousands of real followers (not bought) which also gains followers by itself. Even after all this and tons of hours of hard work, im still not able to make sales. I have in the past, but for some reason these past couple months have been extremely dry. Since none of those methods that I listed have worked, Im trying to gain more knowledge. I am wondering how to network/hit up artist. In my production career I have never made a sale when I have directly contacted an artist, and im curious as to why that is. Im looking for a good way to contact artists and actually turn those conversations into sales. If this is even possible I would really like to know. Thanks.

You're probably approaching the wrongs artists...

You're also EXTREMELY impatient. Just a quick look at your websites WHOIS I see that you only started it at the beginning of December and have only started your blog section in the last couple of days. Most of the time you won't see much of a return in that timescale even if you ace your marketing plan, which you haven't.

Also, judging by your Twitter, you do that whole follow people in the hope they follow you back. And whether you like it or not, you spam people with the whole "@user Check out this beat" tweets. Both of which, I'd tell you to stop. You won't get much of a return from either, and you will make much more of a connection with leads by building a relationship with them. There are many ways in which you can do this... But I'd suggest start a fresh first and build from the ground up again.

Don't worry about making those sorts of mistakes, everyone does and when you realise you think "Oh wow, I was so ill-informed, etc"... It's probably an age thing as well. So if you're young and you are unsure about changing your ways like I suggest now, you'll probably realise it's the right move down the line.

Im not impatient, just hold myself to high standards. Any normal business can't just go months without a sale so why should mine? Ive been selling beats for a lot longer than just December, thats just when I made my new website lol. Your right about the Twitter thing. Thats why im seeking help. Everyone says that you need to network, but no one explains how to do it. I need the following information:

How to find the right artists
How to start a conversation with the artists (without spaming)
How to turn those conversations into sales

Doesn't matter, you can't just make a website over night and expect traffic... And furthermore, leads. That's not how life works. And actually, businesses DO tend to make a loss until their second or third year. The difference between you and a typical business is that they make a sale and earn say 3% back of their initial investment, while with one sale you probably make 50% or more. Your investments are probably relatively low, and you probably have no traditional overheads. Therefore, it takes you less sales to earn back your investment. (Also, I was originally referring to your online marketing efforts... Which is all I had to go on)

In regards to your questions, the answer is very simple. Bring them to you. I'm literally in the process of writing about techniques for my marketing blog.

Firstly, you have a lot to do, so I won't overwhelm you with a bunch of things you can do. But do you have a newsletter? No? Get one. Once you stop everything I said you were doing wrong earlier, and set the newsletter up ready for your website. You'll be in a much stronger position.

Come back to this next part when you're ready. Give it a couple of weeks. Save it in a Word Doc or something. I find it's a lot more productive to concentrate on one aspect at a time.

Now you have everything set up... You have your blog and newsletter. After that it's all about the content you put out.

What to write about? Your ideal audience are customer prospects, i.e. PAYING artists. So what should your content strategy be? Whatever artists want to read about. Best mics to buy, how to set yourself up for a studio session, etc. (Note: both topics regard things artists are looking to PAY for - giving you a higher chance they'll be interested in paying for beats)...

You e-mail your mailing list every time you post a new blog post. Doesn't matter how often you post by the way, though 4 a month is a good number to aim for, but more or less isn't wrong. If people tell you "You NEED to keep it consistent and to 2 posts a week", it's generally bollucks advice. If you push yourself to post strictly once or twice a week you'll face burn out/lack of ideas. If your content isn't great, people will think "Oh, he's been posting a bit too much lately" while you leave them wanting more if you post great content. (So don't rush it).

In terms of starting personal conversations, at the end of each post you can write a call-to-action. I.e. "Give me a tweet about which mic you went for". Build a friendly relationship from there, and politely remind them after a couple of interactions that you make beats. Make sure to keep in touch with them, and be genuine. No one likes someone who just comes around when they want something from you.

After that, it's really about optimising your website. All of which can be a long process. I'm currently looking at a difference in numbers for one of my friends website (an artist). I'll probably start writing about optimisation in the next couple of weeks for my marketing blog. If you'd like me to let you know when I do, let me know. I shall private message you or you can sign up to my newsletter (Which'll make my life easier). The blog itself will probably launch next week as I'm still sorting out the design.

Last edited:
Back