how come alot of major artists dont credit producers or beatmakers

Marl3y336

how come majors barely credit producers how must one present themselves how much placements do you have to rack up to be respected or even get a chance to be in circulation to land your self a hit song ?

Cause it doesn't matter, producer are the same as recording engineers, they are providing service, they don't even credit who actually wrote the song or composed it, which can be even worse

Cause it doesn't matter, producer are the same as recording engineers, they are providing service, they don't even credit who actually wrote the song or composed it, which can be even worse

okay I get that perspective on the matter but how is it other producers get featured or recognized but I guess you could say new comers get overlooked? how somebody supposed to come up and work more if the artist doesn't list ur name on prod. by... on the title of the song...I just wanna know is whats the reason is it something up and comers starting to get placements need to know when working with artists how you communicate with artist so they'll deal with you on another level?

Last edited by a moderator:
this bothers me alot. the producer stands for like 50% of the song. I dont consider producing a service. its a collaboration. And if someone lese wrote the lyrics well then thats not a srvice either thats a collaboration to, it should be obvious that credit is due. Only thing might be considered a service is the engineer.

Cause major artists are usually pretty selfish. They spend all their money on designer clothes and make a bunch of money off of performing songs, but don't pay the producers on mixtapes. It's pathetic. That's why only .01% of hip hop producers can make a living chasing major placements.

Last edited:
this bothers me alot. the producer stands for like 50% of the song. I dont consider producing a service. its a collaboration. And if someone lese wrote the lyrics well then thats not a srvice either thats a collaboration to, it should be obvious that credit is due. Only thing might be considered a service is the engineer.

problem with your assertion about a producer is that you are using the term to mean someone who creates music which is not the definition within the industry - a producer is someone who brings people together and manages the budgets for a project: that is a service, like an accountant with connections. If they also co-write the material, then that is collaboration....

Like bandcoach said, industry has a different definition of a producer. It's messed up that guys who make the actual music background don't get enough credit, i agree that that guy stands for 50% of the song, but it is what it is i guess. I find it logical that they don't pay attention to it because the consumers/listeners/fans care about that stuff even less. A rapper/singer is a star, fans don't care who made the background music or who wrote/co-wrote the song.

In Hip-Hop beatmakers are sometimes (read as often) labelled producers..anyway if you want attention on yourself maybe consider the dj mustard, mike will etc route and make it your song featuring the rappers/singers.

I forget who said it, but I remember watching/reading a similar post about this. Basically the answer is build up your name. There are a lot of producers now pitching to the same people, same A&Rs, same artists. So when you are essentially "no one" they take your work, and run with it. Once you have some strong credits under your name, they start respecting the brand and posting your name. For example, Jahlil beats, DJ Mustard. Look at them before they got big. Jahlil was making beats, met up with Meek Mill, and once that really took off, everyone was like "I need a Jahlil beat."

I don't think artists think "how can I help out this producer" in a way outside of financing. Like tweeting your name, or tagging you on a facebook post or snapchatting to their fans who made that record. With all that said, its about how well you are known now.

Back