How Changing your Beat Prices Can Hurt!

mikecbeats1

[FONT=&quot]How Changing your Prices Can Hurt[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

We have created a general rule of thumb. If you are making consistent sales with a particular price, fight the urge of changing the price. Many producers see the money coming in and they naturally want more! Well if I change the price while they are buying like crazy I would get more!
[FONT=&quot]Consistent Prices Will Keep You Money[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Making your prices consistent over time will enhance your sales as well. Think about this! You are looking for some new shoes and you see $68 on the website. The next day you see them for $58. The next day you are about to grab the $58 special and you see the price jumped to $100.

Many producers do this with their beats. Many artists feel that they do not know when to buy. Why buy it now when you know they will change the price. They will constantly be waiting on you to change your prices but they may never buy because the prices vary differently from day to day.
[FONT=&quot]Varying Prices[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

So what’s the rule about having different prices on your store? Simple! If you value a beat more than another, price the beat one or two dollars higher or lower. Pricing beats at a very higher price will cause harm to your overall beat catalog. Huh? Say you have a track for $15.95 and you have that “Hit” for $49.95 per lease. This will cause confusion with your customers. They will question your value and most likely will not buy.

I got more detailed info here But greater detail

Thats all nice and everything, but he market has changed as we all know. Some producers are in situations where they have to up the rate. True if an artist REALLY wants that beat, then they would buy it outright exclusively. But for most, they "lease" and just put it on a mixtape and thats that. The producer makes a quick buck and the artist gets that beat cheaper than if he bought the rights.

I changed my prices because I got better as a producer and understanding the business of it all. My prices arent outrageous, they are actually pretty resonable. My thing is this, I want my money to work for me as my work. So if i make a great beat and a decent artist buys it exclusively, and doesnt PROMOTE hard enough, then that beat is done for...I could make another of course, but its not the point.

If I went from exclusive $50 to $100 after 6-8months I feel thats fare due to the amount of tracks I have sold. Artists buy shoes for $100, jeans, clothes, jewerly for 3x as much. Not to mention paying for studio time and mixing and mastering and duplication of cd's (if they do that) so with all of that...$100 is change relatively..

Not disagreeing, just sharing my opinions.

I agree. I was mainly talking about the people who change prices daily. One day its $19.95... If they are not selling they will lower the price the next day to $5.00.. then they start getting sells so they raise them to $12.00. .. I should have been clear about short term changing. But you are right. I hope after some years producers should raise their prices and have it stay at that price and only modify beat packages instead of individual prices.

Ohh Aite cool, yea that is shady. and thats why the game is so F***** up. $2.99leases and 10beats for $14.99. I hope it does, but it doesnt seem like it. My advice is just do what you can. My prices personally are set and i dont lease AT ALL. Because say i lease you a beat, i coulndt lease it again for another 6months (depending on the length of the contract) so i make say $25-$100 buts flat..to last 6months....no thanks.lol

....Well..Ive sold some beats exclusively, but i do get alot of "aite imma get witcha," and "imma def cop dat from you." ...Never hear from em again. So its kinda leway, because in my city alot of artists dont pay for beats....hence the screwed up game...which is cool, cause i stopped trying to hit em up..funny thing is NOW they wanna work with me.lol

What placement you dropping

It depends on how many clients you have and how much someone is willing to pay for your continued service. For simple math purposes.... lets say you have 50 clients paying your current rate of $10 a beat. That's $500..... Lets say you raise your beat price to $20, and you lose 15 clients. Now you're left with 35 clients paying $20. That's $700.

Come on people. Can we get leases/non exclusive back to $100? Exclusives should start at $500 for quality production. Factor in inflation in your prices too, but also feel lucky you are selling your music, which may or may not be a hobby/passion.

True. Non exclusive should be $100 or $250 while exclusive can be $500 to $1500 so that the average joe can still buy. This is hobby for most but in the end its still a business for all. $2.99, $1 leases and $20 and $50 exclusives have got to stop. The value of beats for all is going down because of the "dollar discounts" created by some.

Back