how artists get duped into signing their publishing to the record label?

prodeucer

I heard about how 2pac almost had no money at the time of his death because Suge Knight was known to dupe artists into signing their publishing to his company. How does one fall for this when everyone should know the money is in publishing? I see lots of bands usually on smaller labels that have publishing on the company's name not the artists. I know for a fact those bands don't sell much therefore my assumption is it's because the label is so indie that they can't afford to pay publishing to the artists so they keep it instead since most of those bands are young and clueless to begin with.

I would assume publishing usually is 50/50, as a standard? Maybe this is true with a publishing company but maybe not with record labels?

I heard about how 2pac almost had no money at the time of his death because Suge Knight was known to dupe artists into signing their publishing to his company. How does one fall for this when everyone should know the money is in publishing? I see lots of bands usually on smaller labels that have publishing on the company's name not the artists. I know for a fact those bands don't sell much therefore my assumption is it's because the label is so indie that they can't afford to pay publishing to the artists so they keep it instead since most of those bands are young and clueless to begin with.

I would assume publishing usually is 50/50, as a standard? Maybe this is true with a publishing company but maybe not with record labels?

Artists who write their own songs receive songwriters royalties from ASCAP/BMI. So are artists not receiving these royalties or something else?

Most artist aren't signed to bmi or ASCAP. An most labels offer u a major deal but also want u to sign to there publishing label also. So its not that some aren't aware it's just if jayz signs u to ROC nation an want u to sign your publishing deal with his label also .its hard to say no. For some I guess

Some get tricked... They don't know what they are signing and don't get someone to look over it who does know what the contract states.

Some get muscled into it... If you do t sign the pub deal you don't get a record deal or as big of an advance.

Some strategically sign over some of their publishing... They give the label an incentive to blow them up your giving the label a greater incentive to push for their success. 25%percent of a million is bigger than 50% of 100k

I would never advocate signing over 100% of anyone publishing in perpetuity. Maybe a one off though.

Back