Hiring management?

ibeats10

So I'm a producer and and got my masters degree in recording arts aka audio engineering and have been doing music for about 9 years. Now slowly I'm beginning to start my own label and I have a website that is currently under construction for the label and I'm also in the process of obtaining an LLC for the label. So for now I have an artist that I have been working with a local artist that has a little buzz and he has been messing with a few major artist. He has a song with a new official hook from Future the rapper(if you want to hear the song ask) for the song and he is about to do a project with DJ Drama coming soon, so after talking to him I'm going to get him under my label under contract and start off with one artist for now. So I was wondering how do I go about hiring management for an indie label? I hate to sound like a newbie towards the business side of the industry, but I have no clue where to even start looking for label management.

Last edited:
That depends on a lot if things. How much start up money do you have? Do you have enough money to pay a staff? You're probably best off running the label yourself and then once you begin to bring in money and gain some notoriety, look for people to hire.

That depends on a lot if things. How much start up money do you have? Do you have enough money to pay a staff? You're probably best off running the label yourself and then once you begin to bring in money and gain some notoriety, look for people to hire.
Start up money I have $20,000 that was from stocks and bonds that my dad had did for me when I was a little baby that became $20,000. Also, I already have a studio so all I was going to do with that money was possibly upgrade some equipment and the rest of the money I was planing on using it for the label/artist from top of the line post production(mixing and mastering), CD's to the promo of the artist and then some promo for the label to get our name out there.

Last edited:
You're gonna have to run it by yourself unless you can find people who will work for free. Only bet would be college interns.

so you know my main goal is to one day hire a manager that is already established at least to some degree in the industry that has industry contacts to manage the label

two solutions to your problem:

Get a Management degree (an MBA should be good)
Employ someone to handle your A&R (that is what you are effectively asking for anyway).

Both will cost money and there is little out there that doesn't....

so you know my main goal is to one day hire a manager that is already established at least to some degree in the industry that has industry contacts to manage the label

why do you need a manager
you are the label owner
most label owners are former music managers
your artist should have his own management
you don't need to have a manager over your label

what you do need is a advisor
contact me if you need any help
setting up your label
do you have your business plan done(and if not you need to have it done by a professional down to the penny)
I done mine already...but mines is a evolving business plan(which is the best kind for the music industry as it is now)

An experienced manager isn't going work with you unless he /she see's where they can make money. These days managers are getting cut.

If you're artist doesn't have what the industry wants they aren't going to waste their time.

the best thing is you must try to mange these things yourself and get the specialty in this .as you are the owner so you better know what will be good for your company and what will be bad for your company

honestly i've always felt that the artist might need management more than a producer/engineer thats just from what i've seen, im fairly new to the game

Hello

I have seen that you are looking for some promo of your label so i thought i may help you in this regards ....

I will not be proposing a very high budget stuff you ..... i have worked with these guys at globalgoodmedia [dot] com and they seems good .... just give them a call and talk to them

here is the number 1-800-275-9507 (You can tell them about me for reference)

Best of luck for your promo

Best Regards

Back