Help on a songwriting split situation

dazlerf

Hey, I'm new to this forum but I'm in a situation I need some general opinions on from people who are familiar with publishing. I'll explain as best I can.

I am a singer and had a session with a producer at his studio, when I showed up he had 'co-writer' there. The co-writer and I wrote a whole song together (lyrics, melody & chords) and this producer sat in silence and waited for the song to be written then just recorded it and 'produced' it a little.

The chorus of the song has been picked up by a major rapper who wants to use it (I brought the hook to him direct). I then caught wind of the said producer wanting a song writing split, as well as production points. And he wants all 3 of us to split the writing 3 ways claiming we were all in the room together and that's just 'how they work'.

I've never worked with a producer who didn't contribute to the songwriting process who wanted a cut of the writing as well as the production so I'm finding this a little uncomfortable.

I suggested if he wanted to split the writing 3 ways, then we split the production 3 ways (however that works?) so we ALL are equal in this.

I just can't really get my head around giving 1/3 of the writing split to someone who didn't write on the track?

Not sure if I'm being irrational here. Any help/opinions would be great on this.

Last edited:
Back