Help A Realist Out

OGBama

I'm a lyricist strictly regarding Hip Hop, but want to gradually learn production (but I have no future goal of selling beats) which takes time, money and resources. I don't have nor never had ambitions of signing to a label, and I can't start one due to having no legit connects so what do I do? My future goal is to maybe someday release an EP.

I'm an admitted hobbyist, but if I ever wanted to be serious, though I'm not about solely chasing money in the music industry, unless I'm wrong about the financial status of it, plus the lyricist in me doesn't have ghostwriter ambitions, what is a viable lane for someone like myself (a future MC/producer). I have a solid 9-to-5 as I value stability. I am about both the art and the business and as far as future audience I want to solely aim for adults who grew up on Hip Hop.

Last edited:
I'm a little bit unsure what you mean by your question..
What is a viable lane for someone like yourself?

Thats a a hard one to answer as everyone has a different definition of their success, for some getting their songs on the radio is the ultimate success where others consider having a loyal bunch of listeners rather than a bunch of radio hits in which they can make a living doing what they love is also success by their definition.

After the the rapid change over the years within the music industry too I believe it hasn't quite settled yet, everyone has an idea of what the future will bring but it hasn't quite been pinpointed yet.

From my perspective it seems like many that currently have jobs within the music industry from the old system are scrambling to adapt and keep paychecks coming in.

It it seems hiphop as a movement is confused right now! This is why it has begun separating itself into little branches and things like the modern EDM trap sound was born out of it, Combining many elements all genres in a club party dance type of way, similar to how hiphop began as party music to start with..

It it hasn't stopped evolving in that way but I feel like the actual expression part of hiphop telling raw stories with creative lyricism in essence is still around and there but it isn't getting the attention it deserves.

Back