Help! Need to protect myself// co producing and songwriting

Hey music peeps! I wrote and co produced a song with somebody. I gave him the mixdiwn to riff over. he now wants to record vocals and mix it a separate studio. I am hesitant to give him the stems to the project because I want to make sure I’m fairly credited for the work i’ve done. What steps should I take to protect my self?
Thanks,

Are you in the US? File for Copyright Registration on the music and recording. Another country, do the same (follow local rules and regs.). Create a contract/agreement letter and split sheet and have him sign them. Make sure all copies given have "Copyright _your name_ 2018, All Rights Reserved" on them.

Research and learn all you can about copyright and standard music business procedure. Ask any specific questions you have and we will try to help.

GJ

Hey thanks!

I am from the us.
I am registered with BMI.

I filled out a split sheet on split sheet.com, which is suppose to push in to BMI. In terms of contract agreement I get confused.

Since it was Co-write(we were in the same room) I didn’t charge. He had the initial idea(a melody and a few chord changes) and I added chords, played them in, did the bridge and chorus, programmed drums, sound selection etc.

I then gave him a unmixed bounce so he could write a melody. He now wants the stems to re-record and presumably mix it at another studio.

So what kind of language should the contract/agreement have

I realize I probably should have protected myself from the beginning but I wasnt expecting things to move so quick. And I’m relatively new and hungry for work.

Thanks again!

I then gave him a unmixed bounce so he could write a melody. He now wants the stems to re-record and presumably mix it at another studio.

So what kind of language should the contract/agreement have

I realize I probably should have protected myself from the beginning but I wasnt expecting things to move so quick. And I’m relatively new and hungry for work.

IF you feel your contribution is really to the level of co-writer, then you must _Stop!!!_ right now. Put a halt on everything and talk with your co-writer. No more mixes or stems, until everything is squared-away.

And YES, yes, 1,000 times YES!! The details should always be worked out ahead of time. That is the lesson we try to share each time these questions come up, but there seems to be some kind of disconnect (not you in particular, it just seems to come up over and over again). Please in the future, protect yourself from the get-go.

You should talk with an entertainment attorney. I am not one. I do not give legal advice. If you'd like to talk about my experiences, however, feel free to PM me.

GJ

Back