help getting out of bad contract

hollo321

hey guys i made the epic mistake a few years back of signing an ep on a label via an exclusive contract. only after i signed did i realize they pretty much own the tracks. I cannot even upload the songs to youtube because i get a copyright infringement. Now i want to release those tracks on a full length album with a different label. Am i correct to assume this is not possible? and if not is there any way i can get those rights back and get out of the contract?
thanks

Last edited:
You, or the label that wants the rights will need to buy them from the owning label. In your situation, the owning label can ask any price or decline your offer. In the future, you will save time and costs by hiring an entertainment lawyer to read your contracts thoroughly. They specialize in spotting those cleverly articulated traps. Sometimes they will charge as much as $3,000 but you can add the cost in the your proposal to the target label.

In the meantime, you'll have to rely on new production for your next release. You may be able to reproduce the music with some variance, but reusing entire lyrics may be off the table.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. The above statements are my personal perspective.

Last edited:
Back