Help? Album art specs...

The Funk Junkie

Hey guys,

I have a couple questions I'm hoping somebody can help me out with. I'm purchasing album art from a graphic designer and they wanted to know what specifications I want (size, format, resolution, color mode).

I'm going to use the art for a couple different things so I'm assuming that I'll need several versions of the image. Would 3 versions work? Here's what I'm thinking.

#1 - digital distribution (bandcamp, soundcloud, spotify, apple music, etc.)
I'd guess that I would want it to be a RGB color PNG file. What size and resolution though? (high quality, but not so high I would have trouble uploading it)

#2 - physical distribution (probably cd's with a slight chance of vinyl down the road)
Would I need two separate sizes for vinyl & cd? I figure this should be a CMYK PNG file. Once again, what size(s) and resolution would you recommend?

#3 - posters
A little more straightforward (I think), planning on 11x11 CMYK PNG file. What resolution should I go with?

Thanks!

There are templates on-line somewhere for CD and DVD inserts (had them once, but can't give you the link :( ). Have used both for packaging CD's. You would need different sizes/specs for vinyl.

The important thing for you and your printer to know, is that there is a "bleed" area that is larger than what you'd expect for CD inserts (for cutting down to size). The same is true for printing covers for vinyl LP's (iirc, they are folded over a plain cardboard sleeve and then glued). So in either case, the bleed area is pretty large.

What is Bleed and What Does it Mean for My Design?

GJ

Back