Have a question about picking a good manager.

ILIKEFUDGEBOY

So when you finally get to the point when your generating a type of buzz locally and managers start contacting you what types of things do you want to look for to make sure you dont get scammed or if the management is a good fit for you.
and would you be required to sign anything from them?

(and of cousr i know not to sign anything without letting a lawyer go over it with me first, so yeah all answers appreciated)

Any manager who does their job well should want you to sign a contract. It's difficult to answer your question directly though, because you haven't shared what you want a manager to do for you. Without specifics, people are forced to guess; and peoples guesses are usually wrong. Therefore, I'll just share what I've learned and you can do what you want.

A managers job is to do the things you're unable to do yourself. Artist listen to managers because they lack Business Management experience. Notice that I said unable and not unwilling, there's clear difference between the two. Unable means you don't know how to manage the tremendous amount of work you've taken on. This is were a good Entertainment Business Manager comes into play. They manage your schedule, help find gigs, take your calls, etc. Most managers take 10% to 15% of your earnings weekly or monthly earnings. I don't know how much you make from performances, affiliations, sponsorships, or endorsements. Be suspicious of anyone who wants to manage you when you're not making money. This usually means that you're about to work for less than you're worth.

If your simply unwilling to do the work yourself, then you're killing your own career. Nobody can represent you better than you. Most managers can only find work for you if you're already working. You may be able to find an intern or amateur to work with you, in order to simply for experience; however, this does little for your career or any other earnings you want collect in this business.

Like I said, I'm not sure what you're looking for specifically. I don't even know what your doing to making entertainment managers contact you. Elaborate on this topic and we can get into more detail.

Any manager who does their job well should want you to sign a contract. It's difficult to answer your question directly though, because you haven't shared what you want a manager to do for you. Without specifics, people are forced to guess; and peoples guesses are usually wrong. Therefore, I'll just share what I've learned and you can do what you want.

A managers job is to do the things you're unable to do yourself. Artist listen to managers because they lack Business Management experience. Notice that I said unable and not unwilling, there's clear difference between the two. Unable means you don't know how to manage the tremendous amount of work you've taken on. This is were a good Entertainment Business Manager comes into play. They manage your schedule, help find gigs, take your calls, etc. Most managers take 10% to 15% of your earnings weekly or monthly earnings. I don't know how much you make from performances, affiliations, sponsorships, or endorsements. Be suspicious of anyone who wants to manage you when you're not making money. This usually means that you're about to work for less than you're worth.

If your simply unwilling to do the work yourself, then you're killing your own career. Nobody can represent you better than you. Most managers can only find work for you if you're already working. You may be able to find an intern or amateur to work with you, in order to simply for experience; however, this does little for your career or any other earnings you want collect in this business.

Like I said, I'm not sure what you're looking for specifically. I don't even know what your doing to making entertainment managers contact you. Elaborate on this topic and we can get into more detail.

great info JC
went you got alot of work coming your way
you'll need
1.ent. lawyer
2. media/ent. manager
3.money manager
you can't do everything yourself..
at the beginnig of your career with a small amount of coaching/consulting
or you can study day and night and learn everything yourself
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...-marketing/learning-business-your-own-383340/

Walkinonwater.gif

THE WALKING ON WATER MEDIA/ENT/BUSINESS COACH Antonio
LETS BUILD A RELATIONSHIP TO BUILD YOUR SUCCESS

holy_lamb_media_entertainment@hotmail.com
SERVICES

marketing salesmanship
professionalism sure fire networking
faith and entertainment leadership
time management/organization niche market research
Q & A Music Business/Law Consultation Recording/Production Studio design/organization(includes equipment suggestions for your budget)
artist bio/press kit writing freelance blog posts
business startups development budget development
studio security contact resources

"they speak on malcolm and martin, christians lets speak on luther and calvin"
"My Lord is not black or white he's GLORIOUS"

Check their track record, what have they done that maybe youd like to do and they can help you with? Also most people dont seem to mention this but its vital, find someone you actually can stand and click with. Somebody that understands your vision and isnt so much trying to get you to do things you dont want, that never ends well.

Back