Guidelines for Startup?

Apostata

Hello guys,

I have been making drum and bass for about 5-6 years now, and I have gotten to a point where I feel like I could actually progress further. In terms of technical know how, I have accumulated enough to make good quality sounds.

I would like to adress this thread only towards people, who actually make money with their music, specifically in the electronic music genre.

The internet is full of information and for me it's quite overwhelming. There are way too many guidelines and tipps, so I would really appreciate some simple step by step guide, by someone who has already gone trough this process, of how to get started.

I have tracks, but besides soundcloud, I don't have anything going for myself. I have always offered free downloads and had quite a few DJs asking for permission to play my tracks. So I know the music is good enough and has already been played at some big gigs in california for instance.

But I am completely clueless, when it comes to marketing myself. How do I begin to get some return on investement? Are there any sites, where I can upload my tracks, in some form of chart list? Is it recoamndable to sign up with a site like beatport, or other platforms like it? Or should I just send stuff to labels and hope for the best?

I have been thinking about making my own website and trying to sell of there, has anyone of you done that?

Any kind of personal experience from someone would be very appreciated, so please don't just link yet another site with dozens of tipps, but please share your personal path and experiences with me, if possible.

Thank you very much!

Ill keep it super simple for you.

1) have a catelog of music organized and ready to be sold
2) use all the beat selling resources available (soundclick, myflashstore ect..)
3) get your website built ( i can do this for you if need it wont cost much)
4) Save $ and get an advertising budget use 50% of your budget Facebook ads and google ads and banner ads. dont worry about likes and stuff. Only spend your money on the offers you create. Ex: 50% off today. 2 for 1 free ect..
4) learn email marketing and lead generation. This the other 50 % of your advertising budget. Build you list and keep em happy.
5) watch what other successful producers are doing and copy them.

This is just my opinion, and obviously there more detail to be said but you can learn that for yourself. Hope this somewhat helps

Ill keep it super simple for you.

1) have a catelog of music organized and ready to be sold
2) use all the beat selling resources available (soundclick, myflashstore ect..)
3) get your website built ( i can do this for you if need it wont cost much)
4) Save $ and get an advertising budget use 50% of your budget Facebook ads and google ads and banner ads. dont worry about likes and stuff. Only spend your money on the offers you create. Ex: 50% off today. 2 for 1 free ect..
4) learn email marketing and lead generation. This the other 50 % of your advertising budget. Build you list and keep em happy.
5) watch what other successful producers are doing and copy them.

This is just my opinion, and obviously there more detail to be said but you can learn that for yourself. Hope this somewhat helps

Thanks for the answer, it does help.

When it comes to advertizing budget, how much should I calculate for that?

How many tracksshould a catalog include?

What are the other best beat selling resources?

For advertising as much as possible, its not like we have to ship out music and package it nowdays its all digital so most if not all your money should go to ads.. Even when you get some money take 10% and put it back into advertising. And make sure to test small with your advertising
Lets say you put $10.00 in an ad & it gets 1 click per 2000 views. Well right there you probably know thats not the right one to scale up. Because you will only get 5 per 10000. So you do another ad and it gets 10 per 10000 with the same budget. You know thats an ad you want to put some money into.

Tracks samw thing much as possible but 60+ should put you in the game.

Beat selling resources you could just google buy off the top of my head is. Myflashstore,beats1,soundclick,beatstars,pmp worldwide, rocbattle. Theres tons lol

Much luck to your success and if you ever need that website built messege me.

If I'm reading your post correctly it sounds like you are trying to sell music... not beats to artists, correct?

If so, look into streaming promotion services. A lot of artist friends of mine make great money from Spotify (given that you own a fair amount of the master).

Essentially, these companies promote your music to large playlists which generate a lot of plays which = income

There is also a discovery element to this as well which can be great. I've seen artist get picked up for "in-show" placements because of their streaming efforts.

First step... Set up your distro

:)

Back