Is it a good idea to major in audio production?

I think a good route to go if you are not 100% sure what you want to do is to knock out your general ed and take an audio production class.

- General ed (because you're gonna have to take it anyways) and the audio production - just to learn what stuff is and see if its a viable career path for you. -

Back when I took audio production we learned a lot about analog + digital and even did some reel to reel tape editing stuff. Very informative. Lab was dope.

Plus: You'll meet people in class who share your interests who are in bands, who work in local radio, who have local studios, DJ, etc so the networking and the immersion in the coursework should help you figure it out.

And again, above all - you'll be learning and growing.

Good Luck

I did pretty much what @SFTRAXX is talking about... Majored in Graphic Design/Marketing and took several audio production classes. I'm happy I did this, cause now I can market my own
music and design my own website, projects etc plug I learnt everything I needed to know about music production to get started!

I think a good route to go if you are not 100% sure what you want to do is to knock out your general ed and take an audio production class.

- General ed (because you're gonna have to take it anyways) and the audio production - just to learn what stuff is and see if its a viable career path for you. -

Back when I took audio production we learned a lot about analog + digital and even did some reel to reel tape editing stuff. Very informative. Lab was dope.

Plus: You'll meet people in class who share your interests who are in bands, who work in local radio, who have local studios, DJ, etc so the networking and the immersion in the coursework should help you figure it out.

And again, above all - you'll be learning and growing.

Good Luck
People tell me its hard finding jobs when you graduate ..

People tell me its hard finding jobs when you graduate ..

Since when was finding a good job easy or guaranteed?

Sh*t, even schools that claim 'job placement assistance' won't guarantee your employment...

You still have to be a good fit for the position.

And having relevant experience, a network and a supporting education puts you ahead of quite a few cats..

Also: Keep in mind that a lot of people don't apply themselves correctly as well...

Cats will always find excuses..

Sometimes when your ship don't come in - you've gotta go swim out to it..

Anyone I know who does any audio production, engineering or anything of that nature who did music degrees have either:

Got a minimum wage 9-5 to supplement the music thing they do on the side as a hobby.

or

Gone back to university to do another degree to get a decent job.

Personally, I want to do music full time but I also have a passion for business so I'm studying for a Business degree. Thought about that whole audio thing and decided against it cause it will get me no where even in a decent economy.

I'd recommend you do a business degree over a music degree. You can either apply what you learn to start a music orientated business, or you can get a well paid job and do the music on the side as a hobby. A business degree is a very "safe" degree. With experience, you can walk in to nearly any job you want according to statistics I've read.

Also, by the time you graduate, the economy should be growing in to a boom... And there WILL be jobs. There already are.

Food for thought anyway.

Hope I've helped,
Jordan

i wouldn't major in it.. it's kinda a waste of time.. producers who never went to school for music and made it outnumber those who did by far...

To be honest I have a bachelors in mass communication with a specialization in audio production from a four year school (Southern Illinois University of Carbondale) and I had a great experience with the teachers/lab/school there but everything I know now I could have learned myself through youtube video tutorials/reading books/networking with other producers. So.. my summary is I enjoyed the time to network with other students (producers, audio engineers) but other than that you don't need a degree or certificate bro' Good luck though! Either way strive to be a good engineer/producer.

"TonyFeelGood's profile - Hear the world’s sounds"

Back