Going into 2017 how does a Producer who has talent make a LIVING in this industry ?

varun213

How would a producer nowadays make a decent living off his beats/production alone going into 2017? The prices of beats in general are so cheap that artists can go to anybody and get a metro boomin B version if needed be.

Is making your own website or using soundclick and spamming artists away to check your beats out the only way? I considered movie and TV work but not sure how difficult that would be to get into and where is the money in music production mainly?

would love to hear people's thoughts

The supply of beats being greater than the demand is the main issue to consider. Also take into account that spamming is essentially marketing with no targeted audience or if there is an audience they are inundated with emails to check out artist's music and/or instrumentals that are likely to and will be ignored and consider short attention span. As for movie and TV work it is formulaic as far as what licensing supervisors look for.

The supply of beats being greater than the demand is the main issue to consider. Also take into account that spamming is essentially marketing with no targeted audience or if there is an audience they are inundated with emails to check out artist's music and/or instrumentals that are likely to and will be ignored and consider short attention span. As for movie and TV work it is formulaic as far as what licensing supervisors look for.

Yea I understand there are alot of beats but many dont seem to be any good or standout. Couldnt you say the same about there are too many rappers? It seems you have to have alot of luck by your side and have to be making a sound that is simple yet popular like most of metro boomin's beats are really basic to me and dont understand why he is so high on the production game compared to actual musicians.

I feel trap music is taking over as the sound for the mainstream radio/tv/big albums

Music is really a third world country where a few are rich but the rest are broke starving artists. Correct me if im wrong

You are not wrong if you consider that the artist was and is the last to be paid with producers not far behind and Trap has been the desired sound for over a decade.

Alright brace yourself because this is going to be a sort of long answer...

First figure out the different ways in which you want to be able to make money from your music. There quite a few avenues that you can go down! For instance:

Direct Sales to artists
Streaming
Beat Tape sales
Drumkit/Loop sales
Distribution for Tv/Games/Movies
Compositions for commercial use (Businesses)

These are just to name a few. The more avenues you can put your music into the better your chances are of getting steady streams of revenue.

The one thing that will not change is that you have to constantly be promoting yourself and your music. No one else will push as hard as you. Go to local music events and talk to artists, start building a local name for yourself. When you do work with artists, submit the music to indie music blogs to get more recognition for you music.
Be open minded to any opportunity you have to put your music out there.

You probably already know this, but there is no easy way to "make it". You just have to keep grinding it out and eventually your hard work will pay off.

Lastly, let's talk about the pricing. One of the best pieces of advice I have ever gotten was this. "Work for free or work for full price, but never sell yourself short". If other "producers" are selling their beats 5 /$10 then so be it. That is what they are worth. When selling your music understand your value, and don't waiver from it. I hope this is helpful!

Mark | Mhinoproductions.com

With the explosion in targeted advertising, I feel music creators across the globe have excellent avenues to new and expanding revenue streams. Beat production assets, tutorials and webinars are hot commodities and look to continue their growth potential in the coming quarters.

- Legend, Indie Music Business Blogger Starving Artist Suggestions

I considered movie and TV work but not sure how difficult that would be to get into and where is the money in music production mainly?

That's what I'm aiming for right now. You don't make as much as you used to with Film/TV, but it's still very profitable.

I feel like making a living off music now of days starts with building a brand. there's an oversaturation of music and music artist so now more than ever you need to stand out more....or just have stupid amount of money lol.

I feel like making a living off music now of days starts with building a brand. there's an oversaturation of music and music artist so now more than ever you need to stand out more....or just have stupid amount of money lol.

spot on!

- James, Indie Music Business Blogger starvingartistsuggestions.blogspot.com

That's what I'm aiming for right now. You don't make as much as you used to with Film/TV, but it's still very profitable.

Yes and no it depends on what side of the spectrum you were on. I make more now in Film/TV than I did 10 years ago.

IMO there's no guarantee. Some people get lucky and can make a living off of it, others just can't.

If your music is good and of a style that people like and reasonably innovative, then you need a lot of promo- but lots of people don't have one of the first three things and never will

Back