Ghost Producing is a thing?

P

PatrickPatchCarr

From Superstar O's facebook. What the?
[h=6]
SuperStar O

[/h][h=6]I'v been asked if i would be interested in ghost producing for 2 "major" producers i looked up to coming up & shouted out by many others..That alone lets me know I'm doing something rite LOL[/h]

I understand that big producers have teams of younger unknowns that work for them regularly but the concept of just a one shot ghost production is pretty crazy. Oh, well. Nothing surprises me nowadays.

It's not "ghost producing". You're creditted accordingly.

Say you make a sampled beat on MPC. You pass the beat on to a "producer" who arranges and sequences it into a song while adding instrumentation from keyboard, guitar, ect at key moments. He "produced" the song, you did Drum/sample programming.

Say you make a beat from scratch on a Motif or in Reason. You give the beat to a "producer" who beatboxes over the song, rearranges it in key places or even just adds a few hihats to it. He "produced" the song, you were the "keyboardist" on the record.

The biggest problem I have with this isn't the credit, it's the pay. You're doing nothing "right" to end up a 'ghost producer", you're being raped for your talent. You get B.S. work for hire pay for a big name producer to take your work that he added to and turn around and resells it to an artist for $20k(in this day and age, $50-200k in the good ol' days).

If your contracts right, you'll get splits and it's all good, but usually when you're not labeled as the "co-producer"(which you certainly are), your splits...lol, what splits?

Industry 101.

It's not "ghost producing". You're creditted accordingly.

Say you make a sampled beat on MPC. You pass the beat on to a "producer" who arranges and sequences it into a song while adding instrumentation from keyboard, guitar, ect at key moments. He "produced" the song, you did Drum/sample programming.

Say you make a beat from scratch on a Motif or in Reason. You give the beat to a "producer" who beatboxes over the song, rearranges it in key places or even just adds a few hihats to it. He "produced" the song, you were the "keyboardist" on the record.

The biggest problem I have with this isn't the credit, it's the pay. You're doing nothing "right" to end up a 'ghost producer", you're being raped for your talent. You get B.S. work for hire pay for a big name producer to take your work that he added to and turn around and resells it to an artist for $20k(in this day and age, $50-200k in the good ol' days).

If your contracts right, you'll get splits and it's all good, but usually when you're not labeled as the "co-producer"(which you certainly are), your splits...lol, what splits?

Industry 101.

Yeah this is what I'm considering, as I've just been offered to ghost produce over the Summer... What the producer has sent me so far is just over the internet agreements, and when it comes down to it, I know he'll probably do a runner on the contract and try and trick me into getting nothing, even though he's promised to pay me $3k a week(for about 6 weeks), which I'm happy with... But I know, he'll do something sneaky on the contract, I don't trust a single soul nowadays...

^^^If you getting 3k a week he's prolly gonna make about $10k for every beat you make him, lol.

Yeah, I asked him last week how much he makes off one beat and he was like it depends... For such and such artist I only make 5k... I can tell he was bsing, but the opportunity sounds like a good chance to learn.

Back