Getting on the XXL Freshmen list...how?

G

I read an article some time ago saying that XXL approaches the best of the best (as far as rising artists are concerned) and they offer the artist a spot but for a fee. A hefty one at that.

Any have experience with XXL or know of the route to get on the XXL freshmen list? Of course you will need a substantial buzz, a REAL BIG buzz, but what else?

Those dudes are ALWAYS already contracted thru majors aren't they?

I'm asking. I really thought they were put up there because they were already up and comers.

That's what I thought. If you noticed all of the people listed as Freshmen of the year typically already have major deals. And in most cases have been around for while....

I don't think this is something that you can request to be a part of.

True I was thinking like Big Sean, Mac Miller, J Cole, Big Krit, Yelawolf (a few who have been on in the past yrs). But after yall said that I realized that they had either just signed or were signed for some time just didnt have enough buzz.

So with that being the case Im betting you have to be signed to get on. Because Mac Miller was making some serious numbers for an independent cat but then he signed....hmm...politics, well said.

Rostrum Records...I never said signed to a major label. I just said signed.

yea but the way you worded it was like he just signed, and then they put him on the list. he had been on Rostrum since KIDS dropped

Asking, cause I don't know for sure, but isn't rostrum distributed by Universal or someone major?

If not WTF are they doing right?

haha naww Rostrum is pure indie, they Inked a deal with Atlantic for Wiz Khalifa, but Mac's shit is pure Rostrum. They got a lot of connects cause that Benji dude who runs it is SUPERRRR connected and good people

theyre really big on effective touring and branding their artists though and it helps, plus they got good connections on distribution

I read an article some time ago saying that XXL approaches the best of the best (as far as rising artists are concerned) and they offer the artist a spot but for a fee. A hefty one at that.

Any have experience with XXL or know of the route to get on the XXL freshmen list? Of course you will need a substantial buzz, a REAL BIG buzz, but what else?
A REAL BIG check, just like the source "5 mics", that stuff is publicity/marketing and has its own special rate/cost.

I think some of it's "Politics" and then I also think some of it's got to do with how popular you are.
Hopsin for example is as indie as it gets but dude managed to get on because he blew the damn lid off the internet.
9,000,000 views and counting all from one diss track, XXL features, Interviews etc.
Of course I do think some get on because
A. Cash
or
B. The label they're associated with.

Back