Getting "Broadcast Quality" in a home studio?

Shands

Dj Shands
Hello Everyone, I Was looking for advice experienced producers. Im starting to place my instrumentals on Stock music/music library sites. Some sites have rejected my applications but im on many others. I have heard sample music on these sites and im really impressed by the quality delivered by other composers. How do they get their music to sound SO GOOD/PROFESSIONAL? How can i make steps to get that "broadcast quality" all these sites talk about? I mix my beats in FL 11 and i feel that i have some experience doing so (i've come a long way!) however how can i get the quality needed to get placements on these sites?

In all honesty, certain things just come with time and experience.

You can definitely do things that will help you out along the way like invest in the right production equipment, acoustic room treatment, take music theory and ear training courses, etc. but I also believe there is an ongoing process that composers' go though (a progressive growth process if you will ) that takes time and gradually enables you to grow your "musical ears" over time.

$.02

Last edited:
The somewhat general answer that SFTRAXX gave above is not only very accurate, it's just about the only plausible (pleasant and reasonable) response to your question, which was asked in about as vague a fashion as possible. Without posting a book-length thread on the history, theory, and practice of both musical composition and recording and production, that is. We don't have much to go on without any concrete examples of your work to listen to, or anything else to compare it to (for example, the other music that you are hearing that sounds like it is "broadcast quality" to you).

What kind of music are you working on? What libraries have you submitted to? What techniques (besides "using Fruity-Loops") are you using to produce your music? And, most importantly, can you post some samples for review?

GJ

Broadcast quality refers to the mix/master. Simple answer...learn how to mix my friend. That's what it comes down to.
It may help to start using reference material

Last edited:
Well covered by prior posts already. Best advice I can add is GOOD MONITORING. That may mean you've got cash to invest in an amazing setup, or you're on a budget and have to reference on a pair of $20 headphones, then go in the livingroom and play it thru the entertainment setup, then run out to the car, then go back to whatever you originally mixed on, then go to a friends house, the whole time comparing to other commercially released works, but the only way to get better is to pinpoint every flaw and improve on it. Whether your arrangements lack professionalism, your sound selection isn't the best, or your mix needs to be better, it all starts with recognizing the things that separate your sound from professionals, and it can only be done by LISTENING.

In all honesty, certain things just come with time and experience.

You can definitely do things that will help you out along the way like invest in the right production equipment, acoustic room treatment, take music theory and ear training courses, etc. but I also believe there is an ongoing process that composers' go though (a progressive growth process if you will ) that takes time and gradually enables you to grow your "musical ears" over time.

$.02

I couldn't have put it better myself, well stated...

Thanks for the great wealth of info. guys. I Have my instrumentals available on my site, djshands.com
These beats have been "mastered" aka made louder while i have some beats on my Soundcloud which most are simply mixed without bringing the volume up. While on this topic, is it better to submit songs that have been "mastered" this way or is it better to simply upload the mixed only version of the beat?
Also, i am using KRK 5's. I have submitted to libraries like Revostock, Music Dealers, Audiomicro etc. and basically the stuff they have featured on their main pages sounds very bright, clear, and professional. Thanks again for your help guys i appreciate you taking the time out to help me!

I listened a random sampling on your Shands page; everything sounds decent, nothing glaringly obviously bad. Personal choice wise, I'd bring the drums forward in these mixes, and the rhythm keys back a bit. Also, again, just an opinion, but your sound selection is a bit "generic" (Fruity-Loops), and the chord patterns are very... "happy." I think even in the predominantly pop/dance genre, you could add a bit of mystery/darker-edge to some of these. Also, if you really want the dance thing, you've got to play around with some pumping side-chain compression, and perhaps compression over-all.

Those are very nit-picky tweak suggestions though; your stuff sounds good and it's mixed decently, maybe you've just outgrown Fruity-Loops...

GJ

Back