Get your reading glasses out..My 2 cents

Loxley

♡throb-Never
Based on an artist releasing an album an artist makes around 8% maybe more if they are established and the label makes 49% … the rest in spread over various other process aspects. Record sales are falling but more people are listening, and creating music. New business are popping up all the time due to the advancement of music. When a billion will happily watch Gaga, Beiber and Kate Perry on you tube but less and less people are buying CD’s what does that tell you.

My issue is people bang on about how its stealing peoples work and that people aren’t getting paid correctly( 8% of less and less), Yes it is stealing but what logical human being will spend £10 on a manufactured over scrutinized and for the most part generic piece of music when they can get it for free no forgetting that we’re hardwired to survive.

End of the day in a business the customer is always right so if the vast majority of customers are showing you how they perceive music should be offered, so why record companies are and Body’s fighting it (its basically free marketing)... It’s inevitable the majority usually get what they want (right or wrong).. Record companies should shift with the times and exploits music as a service. Computers and the people who use them are getting smarter and smarter there is no way the lawyers can keep up in the long run.

Time spent worrying about decline is time wasted. life is about balanced so if something has declined its due to something more romantic elsewhere that is bigger and in some ways better

I don’t buy all this surveillance online shit.. the same rules should apply online that do in real life. E.g should you choose to conduct illicit behaviour in your home.. where you pay money to be there then that is your business you shouldn’t have a designated policeman following you round making sure your up to no good its just human rights why should you be harassed. Obviously this already occurs but I can’t be used as the backlash would be enormous and would have a detrimental effect on society(oooo oo trust issues), its like The queen of England she looks pretty in a crown but she can’t do shit.

My projections

CD’s will Die no longer cost effective.. shipping and distribution, print/manufacturing costs all get deducted from the sales?? Or errmmm we put in on our website and anyone anywhere as many times as we like and with the click of a button can download it without charge?

Albums may also die – who will want to wait for release dates only to be dictated what they will listen too

Artists will release songs when they like and will send only singles to radio stations or official charts…

Possible each artist will have some sort of TV channel that can be subscribed too or online broadcast from studio session gigs would be shown live on their channel/ feed, just like the premier league or NBA.. you may not physical go to games or gigs? But you still gotta pay a premium to watch it live or have access to the channel that will show re runs of it??

Like the cable TV, filesharing will be legalised(just like drugs and prostitution will be) we’ve moved past the age of industry now we are in the age of Information in the immediate Knowledge will be power.. I mean its crippling the current music industry model… an email is quicker than post etc

Manager, lawyer artists and accountant will be all an artist needs.. all record companies will really have is networking but that will saturate with time as new approaches take precedence and access to the right people will be more open. Artists will have short contracts with labels depending on money like a player to a football club.

There will be an increase in tour sales meaning more elaborate shows and an increase if premium charged making artists richer

Places like spotify, youtube and such will be the Hub of it all earning commission based on artists allowing them to use their music, all cost will be marginal and customers will pay to subscribe to YouTube and such then money will be more than ever. Music on the go I mean who uses CD’s anymore its all ipods

Record company will be tiny shadow of its hay day and only used as a luxury for the elite, publishing will hit new heights and with less intermediaries artists will made more money than ever

YouTube and Google and Apple become the new Sky , ESPN, BBC of the Music internet world whereby everyone will pay a monthly subscription to enjoy music where they go.
I’m in no way advocating Piracy for anyone who may disagree with my opinion but ever heard of ‘Shit happens’ ‘action –react’ ‘cause and effect’

If you read this all the way through…. ‘YOUR WELCOME’

‘Cool Story Bro’ blah blah blah
Lool thought I’d get that out the way myself

Great post, all this is true. Artist dont need big labels behind them anymore to have great succes now a days. Things are changing for the best.. look at ASAP Rocky or Odd Future.. all having their promotion from tumblr.. youtube ETC and blowing up crazy with out a label just shows you how the internet is the biggest asset in the music industry. Rocky just signed a 3mil deal with RCA and blew up overnight from Tumblr.. this shit is getting cray.

I relate to you on this on so many levels...Cd's are def in the past, but i hope albums don't go away...some of us appreciate a full cohesive body of work rather than random tracks...but overall alot of accuracy in what you said....thnx

Back