Free Mixtape / Album To Copyright Or To Not

• Thread starter Dallas Williams
  • Start date
D

Dallas Williams

So i'm in the proccess of making my own album that is going to be a free release, but ive been thinking that I should get everysong copyrighted. Could someone try to take my work and clam its theirs? Also if I was to re-release the album to be a commerical album would could i copyright it after the free release? This is going to be my first project so i need all the info i can get. But like the release of "Bastard" from Tyler i doubt he had his songs copyrighted at that time so i know it can be done but whats the chance of someone trying to clam my work? :hmmm:

If your stuff is good, theres lots of chances people will be claimed

You nor I can control the actions of others; therefore, if you believe people will try to claim your work as their own, protect the music. On the other hand, don't copyright music with samples unless you have a written permission from the copyright holder of that particular sample.

There's no need to re-copyright music that you've already protected. However, you should copyright your remixes as long as they're sample free... or they're your samples...

Last edited:
If someone did try to claim my work isnt proof needed to be given before they did? Cause right now im in the situation where i don't have the funds to have my project copyrighted but after the release of the project and i start doing shows and what not that wont be a problem.

If someone did try to claim my work isnt proof needed to be given before they did? Cause right now im in the situation where i don't have the funds to have my project copyrighted but after the release of the project and i start doing shows and what not that wont be a problem.

Seriously dude, my twelve year old daughter can come up with $40 when she wants to. The only reason you don't have the money to protect your music is because it's not a priority to you. Make it a priority and the money will manifest itself. Most people are unable to sell the music they make for a multitude of reasons. If money is an issue for you today, believe me, it will continue to be an issue tomorrow. And besides, if you don't have two twenties to rub together, you shouldn't even be focused on making music.

It cost money to make music, even if you own your own gear, because time is money. Get your head in the game and start working your a*s off for money. Once you have money, you can apply it to music; not the other way around. Think about it... You can't afford proper packaging, marketing, promo, or any other cost associate with releasing music. Why would some one buy from you when they can buy from some who can display their professionalism?

Here's an idea you can use to make money right now, and I'm serious about this. Ask a friend or family member to borrow the money, and pay them back once you've made it back. Sell the stuff you rarely use, wear, or the stuff you're not using at all. And, if this doesn't work for you, stand on the street with a big a*s sign that says, "Please donate $2 so I release my music, instead of giving to a bum for alcohol..." I'm positive it will work because I've seen bums get money from holding up signs that say, "I'll be honest, I just need a drink."

How bad do you want to be successful, huh? Come on bro, get it together... Get what you need so you can move forward without being forced to look back.

people can definetly steal your music and claim it so copyrighting it wouldnt hurt if u feel its good enough where someone would want to steal it

Good thread. I need the same advice bro

nice page man

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Seriously dude, my twelve year old daughter can come up with $40 when she wants to. The only reason you don't have the money to protect your music is because it's not a priority to you. Make it a priority and the money will manifest itself. Most people are unable to sell the music they make for a multitude of reasons. If money is an issue for you today, believe me, it will continue to be an issue tomorrow. And besides, if you don't have two twenties to rub together, you shouldn't even be focused on making music.

It cost money to make music, even if you own your own gear, because time is money. Get your head in the game and start working your a*s off for money. Once you have money, you can apply it to music; not the other way around. Think about it... You can't afford proper packaging, marketing, promo, or any other cost associate with releasing music. Why would some one buy from you when they can buy from some who can display their professionalism?

Here's an idea you can use to make money right now, and I'm serious about this. Ask a friend or family member to borrow the money, and pay them back once you've made it back. Sell the stuff you rarely use, wear, or the stuff you're not using at all. And, if this doesn't work for you, stand on the street with a big a*s sign that says, "Please donate $2 so I release my music, instead of giving to a bum for alcohol..." I'm positive it will work because I've seen bums get money from holding up signs that say, "I'll be honest, I just need a drink."

How bad do you want to be successful, huh? Come on bro, get it together... Get what you need so you can move forward without being forced to look back.
budgeting for music is a struggle for alot of ppl.
ppl have money for micky D's
ppl have money for clubbing
ppl have money for weed
ppl have money for new kicks
ppl have money for entertainment
cut back for a 3-6 months and save that
start a website provide content and have affliate marketing that compliments your content
adsense you get paid
E-junkie Shopping Cart for selling downloads & tangible goods
Affiliate Programs - LinkShare
click on the affliate sections on those sites
JC also has a great article on affliate marketing here

and if you need a more concrete method of saving/budgeting visit here

Christ is King

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for posting inspiring shit

Selling my video games hahahaha

Thanks everyone for posting inspiring shit

Selling my video games hahahaha