First-time label advice for a young producer

Noizemaker

So, I'm kind of a newb producer. I produce Dubstep, house, dark ambient, etc. and I just finished my first track, a house track, and have sent it off to be professionally mastered. While I am a little inexperienced, I did my homework while producing and mixing the track, and the end result is something I take pride in. I would like to sign with a label to have the track officially released (be it free or paid).

That being said, I know I'm not Deadmau5, I'm not getting signed to Owsla or Never Say Die. I just need an entry-level label that would be interested in releasing my track and I would also like to avoid any scams or legal pitfalls.
Any advice on this subject will be well appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

So, I'm kind of a newb producer. I produce Dubstep, house, dark ambient, etc. and I just finished my first track, a house track, and have sent it off to be professionally mastered. While I am a little inexperienced, I did my homework while producing and mixing the track, and the end result is something I take pride in. I would like to sign with a label to have the track officially released (be it free or paid).

That being said, I know I'm not Deadmau5, I'm not getting signed to Owsla or Never Say Die. I just need an entry-level label that would be interested in releasing my track and I would also like to avoid any scams or legal pitfalls.
Thanks,
Nick

Focus more on what you can do for a label than what a label can do for you. The best way to get what you need is by giving others what they need. There's nothing worse than wasting time and money on someone else's vision while getting nothing in return. Look for ways to deliver on what they need and you'll get what you need.

Thanks,
Nick

Entry Level Label? I don't think they exist

Why do you want to be signed to a label? What are you hoping to gain from it?

Entry Level Label? I don't think they exist

Why do you want to be signed to a label? What are you hoping to gain from it?

Promotion value for one thing. Also, I thought you needed a label to legally sell your music on beatport, iTunes, etc.

Edit: Are familiar with Revamped Recordings? They are a very small label run by 2 young guys and sign mostly young producers. Probably won't get a ton of promotional value from something like that, but it's better than nothing.

Last edited:
Promotion value for one thing. Also, I thought you needed a label to legally sell your music on beatport, iTunes, etc.

Edit: Are familiar with Revamped Recordings? They are a very small label run by 2 young guys and sign mostly young producers. Probably won't get a ton of promotional value from something like that, but it's better than nothing.

No, you don't need to be signed to sell your music on those platforms unless they've changed. To get the most from a label walk in with a fan base. You may even find out that you don't need the label after establishing your base.

Man labels make it easier for us producers simply because they take care of putting your music out and getting your music in the right hands because have the right connections. All of this while your chilling making music. I got signed to a label and honestly everything they're doing for me I can do myself. Just do it yourself, just keep making great music and build a fan base.

If you just finished your first track, dont worry yet. Learn your craft and THEN build a fanbase. from there labels may hear about you and check you out.

Back