First project: Mixtape or Singles?

QNMusic

I have been producing hip-hop beats for a while now and I really want to get into recording rap vocals to go along with my beats, the problem I have now is that I don't know whether to make a mixtape or just start out releasing single songs? Also, what would be the best way to get the project heard, I currently just post to soundcloud, what would be some other places to post songs to get them heard?

I have been producing hip-hop beats for a while now and I really want to get into recording rap vocals to go along with my beats, the problem I have now is that I don't know whether to make a mixtape or just start out releasing single songs? Also, what would be the best way to get the project heard, I currently just post to soundcloud, what would be some other places to post songs to get them heard?

Always do singles my dude. No one wants an album from you until you establish a real fans. Fans buy albums, the rest of us buy albums based on a single. If your single gets real hot, then you can consider doing an album at a later time to capitalize on your new fan base.

As far as getting your music out there, you need a website. Use Soundcloud, Facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube and any other social media programs you use to funnel people to your website by linking them back. Make sure you let at least 5 or 6 women who you are not sleeping with give you positive feedback on your single before you decide to release it. Make sure the women do not live in the same neighborhood as each other and are not your immediate family, and preferably, do not share the same cultural background. With the internet, this is a little easier than it sounds. Good luck!

Cheers!

Biggest Secret to Success in the Music Industry

definitely start with a single first. soundcloud is a good outlet to share your music but you'll definitely want variety. i use bandcamp.com for my music as well. i've even sold a couple of songs via bandcamp. of course social media is the big thing to share your music but you may want to perform your single live as well and get some business cards made with a QR code on them so people can download the single to there phones. but as far as online, soundcloud, bandcamp, reverbnation, soundclick, etc. those sites are decent for musicians.

Back