Finding A Music Manager (For the Newbies out there)

Cyko

I noticed there's an influx of new people here asking business related questions. Figured I'd share these videos

example: avicii was picked up from his manager when he was nothing. but by then avicii was producing big numbers and had a following online which made him different from everyone else. we're all good in our own right but all this took place when file sharing, blogs, and sites like youtube were not what they are today. this means anyone with a good beat could've made it since the net was the new format to create a fanbase. so artists like him really lucked in on that. fast forward to today. landing a manager with connections who needs new talent is like floridians waiting for it to snow so do not wait on it to happen. with that i say this to who ever is reading this, get your weight up and let them come to you. since i started to make far better sounding and conceptual music i have been getting looked at by folks with their own solidified labels wanting to own, sell, and play my music. this is the age where DIY will guarantee success for you without so much middlemen. but its all up to you and your business sense.

example: avicii was picked up from his manager when he was nothing. but by then avicii was producing big numbers and had a following online which made him different from everyone else. we're all good in our own right but all this took place when file sharing, blogs, and sites like youtube were not what they are today. this means anyone with a good beat could've made it since the net was the new format to create a fanbase. so artists like him really lucked in on that. fast forward to today. landing a manager with connections who needs new talent is like floridians waiting for it to snow so do not wait on it to happen. with that i say this to who ever is reading this, get your weight up and let them come to you. since i started to make far better sounding and conceptual music i have been getting looked at by folks with their own solidified labels wanting to own, sell, and play my music. this is the age where DIY will guarantee success for you without so much middlemen. but its all up to you and your business sense.

That's good advice. The more you do for yourself the better.

It's always best before trying to find a manager having enough business on your own that you would need a manager to help you keep things in order. Great tip!!

Thanks for sharing Cyko & Acetheface954!
I found this topic very useful!

Last edited:
I am trieng to get customers for my website and i am looking for a list of marketing forums and toplist sites to promote on if you like you can add any kind of url to make the list interesting.

First and foremost the producer has to see himself as a business man. You have to set up your business. You dont get into the soda business expecting to compete with coke and pepsi without your own branding and marketing and people on your team. The music business is the same way. Thats why you only see a handful of producers always on the top for over a decade now(Dre, Timbaland, Rodney Jerkins, Stargate, will i am, mike will, kanye etc) Until you get to a point to where your production company has musicians, and songwriters, and other producers, and your own lawyer, and real catalog of not just tracks but songs you are wasting your time. The manager is just another piece of your production pie that handles your daily life and is your liason between you and the publisher, or the label, or the artist management. So if producers learn anything from this website i want you to learn that this is a business. treat it as such. Most newer producers taste that success of selling a beat to Jay Z or to Lil Wayne...But they cannot sustain that success. WHY? Because they dont have all those things in place...You may be able to produce hot tracks, but what if you are in the studio with Alicia Keys and she wants your track but she wants you to add musicians, and a hot songwriter to write the whole song and she wants it delivered in the next two days. IF you have your own songwriter its a hell of lot easier to get them on the project than going to pay another hot writer $14,000 that you dont have a relationship with...Ive seen it happen. Producers are not about their business and when opportunity comes it gets wasted. So please see a manager as a way to get you to the label, or publishing company, or artist management. He can bring connects. But realize you have to do the work and in a timely manner and its not always just you. Build a team and then find a manager. And if you hot and doing what you are suppose to be doing then a manager is more than likely to find you.

Back