A film student wants the rights to my song for his senior project

A SCAD student needs the rights to one of my songs that already appears on his project (it is actually a pilot for a webseries).

Is there a way to license it for free, but receive residuals if it meets with commercial success?

That is my only concern.

The whys and hows would be very much appreciated, thank you very much.

-Nik-

I believe that has to do with royalties, i don't know much on the subject or the legalities of it, and i may be wrong but maybe some google research can help you out, if no one replies here.

anything is possible

you would need to look into specific contract clauses that assign the rights to use the work in the the form required but reserves all rights regarding compensation for synchronisation (this is the standard form of wording when it comes to joining a musical work to a work for tv/film/moving image) arising from future sales

i.e.

you specify that the right to use the work in the required format are assigned free
the right for royalties (compensation) are retained by you
a bonus payment for synchronisation rights is payable upon sale of the work to a 3rd party might be reasonable way of ensuring that you share in the rewards of success beyond the normal royalty payments

Absolutely, you can assign the rights of the musical composition for the senior project for free, and then build in terms that state if the pilot gets picked up, you'll receive XXXX for the license to use the composition.

Back