Fame is making me indecisive whether I actually want this or not... I want freedom.

reecemm

Hi FP,
I always wanted to be a hip-hop artist/rapper. I've been writing and writing since 13, and now 17 - I'm seeing truly how music fame affects people. I don't like the idea of people trespassing into my house or the thought of always being under pressure to be amazing etc
I don't want to throw my dreams away, and maybe I'm being stupid - but can you offer any motivation or anything to get my mind off this?
I want a grammy, but I want my future family safe more.
Thanks,
Reece

Hi FP,
I always wanted to be a hip-hop artist/rapper. I've been writing and writing since 13, and now 17 - I'm seeing truly how music fame affects people. I don't like the idea of people trespassing into my house or the thought of always being under pressure to be amazing etc
I don't want to throw my dreams away, and maybe I'm being stupid - but can you offer any motivation or anything to get my mind off this?
I want a grammy, but I want my future family safe more.
Thanks,
Reece

x5HPYOd.gif

What are you experiencing and what have you experienced that is giving and has given way to what you are feeling and have felt?

Ask yourself what does fame mean to you.

If freedom is what you want don't sign to a label as you are at an age that labels have traditionally dealt and deal with as the teen years are the years in which they exert control of you.

Last edited:
I disagree with Pumpthrust that "No One Cares." I _think_, _maybe_ I agree with OGBama-- I'm just not sure because I can't quite suss-out the meaning of what was posted...

I think it's very wise of you to consider these questions now, rather than later. But, you also have to question whether or not this actually applies to you, or if it applies to you at this time. Do you have a major deal pending? Is there some reason to believe that loss of control over your music and your life is imminent? You may have awesome talent, but tbh, cracking the big leagues is a long-shot at best. So, at your age, with your interest in music, I'd work on continuing to hone your musical _and business_ skills. You can always make adjustments later, and deal with your future family when you have one to worry about. Being young and single is the time to do things (like pursue music professionally, at least for a few years) that you can't do later when you have much more responsibility.

GJ

Last edited:
We are in the "Independent Era" If you want freedom you can be just as successful as a major label artist by being independent and still be "famous" but like Og Bama Said; What does fame even mean to you. I think a lot of artists get caught up in the hype of things that these rappers are doing on tv. You always have to be doing this for you and nothing else; do what makes you happy and you cant go wrong. Hope this helps.

>>>>We are in the "Independent Era" If you want freedom you can be just as successful as a major label artist by being independent...<<<<

Yes-- theoretically. Hypothetically, more like it. But the reality is that is takes not only incredible commitment, but a well thought-out strategy, major financial commitment (beyond what most average folks can really contribute), an immensely keen business sense (usually honed through lots of schooling and/or "hard knocks"), and a great, and most often very expensive, team of out-sourced advisors and niche-fillers that act as the departments in a traditional major-label marketing scenario. That's just for starters, really.

Anyone that still thinks that having access to the Web automatically equals some kind of success is either a newb, or is somewhat deluded, and has never actually gone through the process of actually attempting to move, say, 1,000 CD's or 2,000 downloads (or to have a channel with "free" music, supported by advertising, or whatever your preferred "long tail" strategy consists of).

This stuff is hard, takes a _lot_ of work, and is very expensive to do well. That's just reality. The exceptions (YouTube artists that go viral, etc.) prove the rule, not the other way around.

As has been previously posted-- Don't worry too much about fame. Make the best music you can, and either go great guns full bore into making that be your one-and-only, or have a "back-up" plan that you are willing to be your "front-line" plan.

GJ

>>>>We are in the "Independent Era" If you want freedom you can be just as successful as a major label artist by being independent...<<<<

Yes-- theoretically. Hypothetically, more like it. But the reality is that is takes not only incredible commitment, but a well thought-out strategy, major financial commitment (beyond what most average folks can really contribute), an immensely keen business sense (usually honed through lots of schooling and/or "hard knocks"), and a great, and most often very expensive, team of out-sourced advisors and niche-fillers that act as the departments in a traditional major-label marketing scenario. That's just for starters, really.

Anyone that still thinks that having access to the Web automatically equals some kind of success is either a newb, or is somewhat deluded, and has never actually gone through the process of actually attempting to move, say, 1,000 CD's or 2,000 downloads (or to have a channel with "free" music, supported by advertising, or whatever your preferred "long tail" strategy consists of).

This stuff is hard, takes a _lot_ of work, and is very expensive to do well. That's just reality. The exceptions (YouTube artists that go viral, etc.) prove the rule, not the other way around.

As has been previously posted-- Don't worry too much about fame. Make the best music you can, and either go great guns full bore into making that be your one-and-only, or have a "back-up" plan that you are willing to be your "front-line" plan.

GJ

I understand exactly what you are saying. I didn't say it was going to be easy. It took me 3 years to get my beat selling business off the ground. Now I am able to live off of it completely but there was a lot of ground work involved. Success depends on what you hold yourself to. It takes money but not as much money as people think; I spent more money because I didnt research how to do things properly I tried to take the easy road; which a lot of artists do. I think a lot of artists over think things. At least that was my problem. I say keep it as simple as possible with each move network smarter and grind it out. It takes an tremendous commitment we agree there.

Dude fuck fame its not about fame its about doing what you love, why should fame's negitive effects distract you from following your dreams? ANYONE WHO MAKES MUSIC SOLEY FOR FAME WILL END UP BEING A MISERABLE SPOILD BRAT. IF you do reach thatr level, be humble dont buy a million dollar house, dont be an ******* because you think youre better than anyonje else, just make music, because thats what its about, not money not popularity, if you're doing for soley that, i'm sorry but you're not going to make this way it unless you have connections. music is a way of expressing yourself. publicity is just a minor scuff on your dream.

Always remember you make your own reality you can choose not to let the negitive effects of fame bother you, it's all in your mind ;)
You're welcome, keep doing your thing.

Last edited:
I'm SURE they're people accomplished in music living a quiet private lifestyle. Don't get caught up in the fame side you see on the media. You can get what you want out of music if you work yourself towards it all.

Pretty impossible if under a label.
Independent maybe too, not sure.

I'm certain a grammy's reserved for known people man lol.

Back