Thread: EXPLAIN to me SELLing beats

Thanks

EXPLAIN to me SELLing beats

Sign in to disable this ad
    Can someone explain to me the legal shit behind selling beats? in my situation i use logic to make music. I have my own sounds designed. I downloaded my drums online & i have a few kits that i use. i use vst's to make that shit sound my way. So If i have customers can i just start selling beats?? Or how does that work? cuz i dont wanna get in trouble for selling a beat that had a metroboomn snare that i distorted in it, know what im sayin? Ive just been making beats for fun so i dont know bout this kinda stuff at all.

Thanks
    You don't need to worry about drum samples from kits. If you use drum breaks from songs that's a different story. If it's all sample free (except for a snare or kick from a pack), then you're good to go.

*The only issue would be if the pack you used illegally took snares and kicks and used them in their product... legit packs for sale on legit sites (places like drumbrokers) should be fine
    Hit me up on Facebook!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpttt View Post
    Can someone explain to me the legal shit behind selling beats? in my situation i use logic to make music. I have my own sounds designed. I downloaded my drums online & i have a few kits that i use. i use vst's to make that shit sound my way. So If i have customers can i just start selling beats?? Or how does that work? cuz i dont wanna get in trouble for selling a beat that had a metroboomn snare that i distorted in it, know what im sayin? Ive just been making beats for fun so i dont know bout this kinda stuff at all.
    Are you looking to sell beats online and do the whole leasing bid as well or just face-to-face, exclusive type business?

Thanks
    Need more info bro!
    If you can, check the licenses of your samples: If they are royalty free, you're fine. If you downloaded them from www-my-freakin-warez-site-org it is possible you need new ones XD
    About selling beats - assuming you want to sell em online - you don't need much more than a website where they can be downloaded from and eg. a PayPal account to start. Good luck!

Thanks
    None of this matters unless u make a hit people go crazy thinkin if they sample a song they are goin to get sued no one cares unless theres alot of money bein made at most soundcloud might flag u and thats pushin it

Thanks
    ^^^^THIS wrong-headed nonsense is what we are constantly, forever trying to correct here at FP. YES, it DOES matter, whether or not you have a hit. YES, copyright owners WILL ask for payment (or sue, or at minimum send a cease & desist notice) if you infringe their copyright. Yes, it is more likely that you will get caught if you use material that was from a hit song, and/or you have a hit with your track as well. But make no mistake, legally, you ARE liable if you get caught, and it happens everyday.

HEADCUTTA, please do not give wrong-headed advice or encourage people to recklessly flout the law.
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thread Information