Ex band member seeking restitution

drummerboypj

I would like to start with saying that I understand anything posted in this thread is not official legal advice and I should (and will) seek consult with a licensed legal defender.

Keep in mind all things I post below I have screenshot proof of the conversations pertaining to the incidents in question.

So a few months ago my bands (former) bass player quit after a disagreement.

To give a brief history on the band, the bass player, myself, and two others were under a different name, wrote together, invested money into merchandise, equipment (with the majority of equipment individually still owned personally by members who had it prior to forming) and studio time equally. After attempting to trademark our name at the time and file as a LLC we found that we had to change names. We did so and successfully trademarked and filed under the new name with the same original material from the previous name. We continued to equally contribute to financial situations that arose.

At this point I will say that we had no written or contractual agreements in place for what happens when someone leaves the band or what is the procedure for handling of financial restitution from the LLC to the individual members who contributed (both before and after legal founding of the bands).

The former bass player has now contacted the band threatening legal action for reimbursement of money he put into the band if no restitution is made to him. He states that he has receipts and has taken them to a legal representative and was advised that he had a strong case and we had no defense in the matter of fighting paying him back the money (all of the above statements once I again we have screenshots of).

One more thing... we have yet to get him to agree to sign to remove himself from the LLC.

My questions / concerns in which I seek a general direction of preparation and knowledge before speaking to a attorney are as follows:

1. Does he actually have a case with all of the above information in consideration?

2. Do we have any viable defense having not had any agreement in place prior to him leaving?

3. With consideration to the protection an LLC potentially provides, what if anything can he come after each individual for from before the LLC?

4. How much does the LLC actually protect us?

Anything else you can provide insight on in addition would be wonderful. Thank you in advance!

Consult an attorney. Any advice given here is just going to confuse you. Attorney's deal with these matters all the time. Let them do the legal work. You stick to making music.

+2 talk to a lawyer, I don't know why you think you need direction or guidance from a message board before doing so.

+2 talk to a lawyer, I don't know why you think you need direction or guidance from a message board before doing so.

Probably to decrease the time spent in the lawyers office racking up a bill asking questions he can find out on here. That's my guess anyway...

In regards to the OP, I have no idea. If you were in the UK, I'd be able to provide some help but I have no clue about these sorts of situations in the USA, sorry. Since you guys didn't sign anything, I'd presume that he has a pretty strong case...

Probably to decrease the time spent in the lawyers office racking up a bill asking questions he can find out on here. That's my guess anyway...
Still doesn't make any sense. The OP is posting here to prep before he sees a lawyer, like a forum on music will offer up some sound legal advice so he can save $$$. Not calling the OP an idiot, but only idiots think that way. Instead of prepping to see an attorney, he should be prepping for a potential lawsuit. Attorney fees aren't the issue-getting sued and losing his LLC and money is the problem. I'm sure that extra hour of facetime with a lawyer is much much cheaper than losing his LLC and band because of bad forum advice. So in reality, bringing these concerns to a lawyer first is actually the more cost effective option. You never save money being stupid.

OP, smarten up and go see an attorney.

Last edited:
consulting an attorney is really your only course of action here as the scope of your questions are far outside any experiences that we collectively or individually may have experienced

good luck

Still doesn't make any sense. The OP is posting here to prep before he sees a lawyer, like a forum on music will offer up some sound legal advice so he can save $$$. Not calling the OP an idiot, but only idiots think that way. Instead of prepping to see an attorney, he should be prepping for a potential lawsuit. Attorney fees aren't the issue-getting sued and losing his LLC and money is the problem. I'm sure that extra hour of facetime with a lawyer is much much cheaper than losing his LLC and band because of bad forum advice. So in reality, bringing these concerns to a lawyer first is actually the more cost effective option. You never save money being stupid.

OP, smarten up and go see an attorney.

I didn't say it did. The issue is way too broad and way too unique for other peoples/our advice to be solid.

However, having a look in your local library at some of their law books for a few hours isn't a bad idea. Researching the amount of liability you personally face as an LLC. Things like that are smart moves. In this case, it won't bring you complete answers. Though, it may help you reduce the lawyers time in explaining things to you.

Also, every lawyer I know and have spoken to advises that you should opt to look for the info yourself first (when you can) before consulting them... Then later confirming with them your new found knowledge. Good honest lawyers don't like wasting time reading you something you could have found yourself. If you have a set of questions you want to ask, have a vague idea of the answer and want clarity, you and your lawyer will get on well.

If the OP is going to take anything extra other than "consult a lawyer". Have a look at this vid of Dame Dash... Take it with a pinch of salt though.

Back