Is It Even Worth Starting A Record Label Nowadays?

JMD_Music

Starting a record label is something I've always thought of doing, but I was thinking that in the state of music today, it'd be pointless. Plus is it possible if you don't have a business degree. I finish school in a year and my degree will be in psychology. Also, how would you go about starting a label? (I did read the post about record labels already started). I already have the genre I would focus on.

Well for a start you need to be able to offer the artists something that they can't do themselves. Go from there.

I'm gonna start producing soon so I was hoping I could maybe develop them and get them exposure. For example, make a beat, co-write with them or they write the lyrics, have them record it at their house, then I would send it to get mastered. Make an EP of about 5 songs and just market the hell out of them.

Well for a start you need to be able to offer the artists something that they can't do themselves. Go from there.

pay for all expenses such as recording,mixing,mastering,promotion(online and offline)
have releationships with publications/journalists,other music professional that gives you a solid foundation for success
so first build up your knowledge and apply it to reaching out to artists
good thing you getting a degree you can use that 9 to 5,maybe your credit to get together $10,000 to start off with just be frugal on your spending and use effective marketing once you have a product
be professional
I'll be sending out e-invitation packages(as well physical packages) to artists and products for my song developement team/in-turn later executive producing artist signed to my media/ent. company
this packages will include
my accomplishments
detail in what I will offer them
from their own website,help them manage their social media networks,press kits
how I plan to promote them
contracts to review with their ent. lawyer
etc..
you need to sit down and write a business plan sir
you can use your local score chapter and small business association in your state
they have tools and training that can get you up to speed on business models
and you can also read ppl's blogs

contact me if you need some help sir

The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert

Christ is King of All Men

I was hoping to maybe start off right now while I'm in college. I don't mean go and officially start a label, but find a producer and a artist/songwriter. I'd be willing to pay for stuff like marketing. You don't need a studio to make quality music, so what I was hoping to do was have the artist record the song in their home, and have it sent to the producer so it could be mastered. And I would basically take care of the marketing and promotion. I'm not sure if this idea was stupid or not.

If this is your attitude going into starting a label then, for you, it's not worth it. I say this because if it was worth it to you, starting a record label wouldn't be a question you'd ask. You'd already be doing it; therefore, by not starting your label, you're telling yourself and the rest of the world that you're not a record label owner.

Record labels provide valuable resources to artists who want to expand their professional development, among other things. Therefore, labels are seeking to make business deals for the artists they represent. In today's industry, the artist must be doing the same to even be considered for a record deal. The reason for this global shift in power is because music creators are tired of being manipulated by business savvy music professionals.

Luckily, for music creators, the internet provides a way for artist to communicate with their fans on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis; however, if you only communicate with your fans once per month, the chances are that you won't have many fans.

From a labels point of view, it's most valuable to establish business relationships with companies, corporations, small and medium size businesses, affiliates etc. It all starts with a phone call, twitter update, facebook tag, website backlink or linkedin group conversation.

Become more proactive and social, instead of waiting for the right time or conditions. Waiting usually leads to procrastination.

One thing I'm curious about is, how do record label owners get paid? What do they get paid from. Record sales and what else? I don't think they get paid from the artists shows. I'm not waiting for the right time or conditions, I'm ready to look for artists right now.

Record labels get paid based on the business they bring to the artists they represent. It's for this reason labels are selective with whom they represent. A label is only as good as the success of their artist, who also need to have knowledge of business practices. Not only that, but they need to be in a position to conduct business with fans to even be considered for a deal.

Back in the day, I would look for people who were simply talented. What most fail to realize is that talented people are often flawed when it comes to personal responsibility. Those who are conscious enough to realize this flaw within themselves in it's early stages are usually able to attract record deals.

Plus, in order to have a record deal, there needs to be a record. That is the responsibility of the people involve with the creation of music. Rather it be the a one man show or an artist/producer collaboration, whosoever is involved with the songs creation is responsible for creating the kind of music a record label would want to buy.

Whoever finds the deal is in control of the money.

Brand yourself first. Once you reach a certain level of well defined success, bring in other artists and sit back and play logistics. Until then, a label is just that... "a label".

Alkota I've been recommended to grab your lamb chops kit. Do you have a small sample I can have a look at? Not that $25 is much to pay haha.

Back