Etiquette for Sending Music

F00T

Well, after several rounds of the Future Producer's Challenge, I've noticed that people on the internet DO NOT BOTHER to read instructions and some just don't plain know the proper etiquette for sending song submissions.

Honestly, some of these things I wouldn't have realized either if I wasn't on the receiving end so here it is:

5 Tips for Properly Emailing Song Submissions

When reviewing multiple songs, from dozens to hundreds of people, a quick workflow makes this process enjoyable rather than a strenuous task. With that said, it helps if people would stick to guidelines for submissions.

1) Always read and follow carefully the instructions and details for an email submission.

2) Always introduce yourself and include contact information.
The person may not read any of your opening introduction, but how are they going to know who to contact 5 months down the line when your song is ready for a national radio campaign?

3) Always label a track with your name & what the project is for if not otherwise instructed If you're receiving a plethora of tracks per day going through 15 "Beat 13349" or "Inception by Rape" randomly named tracks makes it difficult for the owners of the tracks to be tracked down.

4) Never spam the recipient's email box.
This means no mailing list sign-ups, 15 versions of the track you want to send(unless asked for), multiple requests for receipt of submission, and general annoying behavior. These things just cloud up space for the true submissions making it difficult for the recipient to listen to yours and others, and may discourage that recipient from bothering with the process in the future.

5) Never send large files(unless asked for).
Many recipients are listening to these submissions quickly, on spotty wi-fi in airports, or may need to download your submission for quick recording. This includes large cumbersome zip folders. If someone asks for a short MP3, don't send them a 100MB .rar. See Rule 1. Data storage is getting cheaper and cheaper, but this is not an excuse to go overboard. Maybe in the future, when everyone has instant download capability to their brains.
Even then, See Rule 1.

Feel free to add anything you've come across.....:cheers:

-Monk

Last edited:
Great post.

I am guilty of number 3. Donno why I never thought of doing that.

& lmao at "inception by rape"

I make a concerted effort to label all my files as follows:

Beat Title (Prod. Ben Walker ben@benwalkermusic.com ___bpm).

Naming the file that way is also my way of saying to myself I've finished a beat lol, once I've labelled it properly I leave it and go onto the next one - good way to give yourself closure!

I make a concerted effort to label all my files as follows:

Beat Title (Prod. Ben Walker ben@benwalkermusic.com ___bpm).

Naming the file that way is also my way of saying to myself I've finished a beat lol, once I've labelled it properly I leave it and go onto the next one - good way to give yourself closure!

Good idea! I cringe at the amount of 8 bar projects I have, or the fully sequenced but uninspired projects.

Id like to add from a artist perspective that lots of beats i get on this forum...

are slammed to the limit leaving no headroom for me to work with / mix in my vocals. ( if you send me a beat and want me to spit on it please leave 3 to 6 dbs of headroom)

BPM.....please people when your done with a track right click on the file go to properties and add the bpm info! this helps tons for recording artist!

For those who use Logic its always good to take advantage of using the ip3 tags I believe its called. Lets you put all of that information in the track before you bounce it..tempo, website, what key,etc...

Id like to add from a artist perspective that lots of beats i get on this forum...

are slammed to the limit leaving no headroom for me to work with / mix in my vocals. ( if you send me a beat and want me to spit on it please leave 3 to 6 dbs of headroom)

BPM.....please people when your done with a track right click on the file go to properties and add the bpm info! this helps tons for recording artist!

That is a good point! I usually make all my beats a few db below norm and even cut my eq around 2khz so that the artists voice will be more prominent and blend better in the final mix. Remember, the track will be mixed after the lyrics are added, keep that in mind when you mix your beats down ;)

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

For those who use Logic its always good to take advantage of using the ip3 tags I believe its called. Lets you put all of that information in the track before you bounce it..tempo, website, what key,etc...

Your on the right track lol! Its ID3 tags and most music editor's that I have used (Logic, Reason, Acid, Pro-Tools, etc..) have some form of ID3 tag editor. For instance, Acid will let you edit your tags when you begin a new project in that window that appears asking you for your track information!

Glad I found this site already and not in 2 years!
I just sold my first 2 beats and I was guilty of number 3 (OF COURSE)
and number 5

oh yeah and thnaks for the tip with the headroom!but see on the other side from producers perspective, you have to make it loud in order to keep up with the competition you know? if you would skip through a bunch of beats and they're all the same volume and then you would stumble over a beat which has a lower volume you would already think there's a lack in qualitiy since that particular beat doesn't fit the standards you know?
SO I guess you have to be LOUD in public, but if you send the beat to an artist you have to leave them some headroom!

ANYWAYS thanks for this thread! who knows how long I would've kept on going with making the same mistakes over and over AGAIN ;)

heavy equipment operationearthmoving equipment for sale

This resolution perhaps may appear very bold and dangerous, and I am confident would not be imitated by any prince in Europe on the like occasion; however, in my opinion, it was extremely prudent, as well as generous For supposing these people had endeavored to kill me with their spears and arrows while I was asleep, I should certainly have awakened with the first sense of smart, which might so far have roused my rage and strength, as to have enabled me to break the strings wherewith I was tied; after which, as they were not able to make resistance, so they could expect no mercy

dircdertingte host22 com/art php?article=802124]Pace american trailers for sale
dircdertingte host22 com/art php?article=372690]Komatsu wa70-5
dircdertingte host22 com/art php?article=293228]Hydraulic breakers
dircdertingte host22 com/art php?article=550427]Heavy equipment operators final exam
dircdertingte host22 com/art php?article=707193]Heavy construction equipment

gaidictparock netne net/art php?article=674277]Construction equipment excavators
gaidictparock netne net/art php?article=333524]Heavy equipment part
gaidictparock netne net/art php?article=101741]Used freightliner for sale
gaidictparock netne net/art php?article=376632]Crane operator certification
gaidictparock netne net/art php?article=884947]Bulldozer rental

gidacone host22 com/art php?article=951145]Construction heavy equipment operator jobs
gidacone host22 com/art php?article=335816]Terex rt 100
gidacone host22 com/art php?article=56494]Heavy equipment cat
gidacone host22 com/art php?article=353914]Truck and heavy equipment
gidacone host22 com/ctg php?category=9&page=7]Heavy equipment excavators

litaslide netne net/ctg php?category=7&page=5]Used road construction equipment
litaslide netne net/ctg php?category=8&page=4]Used heavy duty trucks
litaslide netne net/art php?article=610773]Concrete equipment
litaslide netne net/art php?article=314225]Heavy equip
litaslide netne net/art php?article=553352]Used heavy equipment dealers

lusttimaso netne net/art php?article=71924]Machinery sales
lusttimaso netne net/art php?article=972082]Heavy equipment tractor
lusttimaso netne net/art php?article=780337]Heavy equipment operator job description
lusttimaso netne net/art php?article=903001]Used skidder parts
lusttimaso netne net/art php?article=697595]Caterpillar 325dl

makamitlu host22 com/art php?article=420710]Used haulmark trailers for sale
makamitlu host22 com/art php?article=568714]Bank repo heavy equipment
makamitlu host22 com/art php?article=900825]Heavy equipment names
makamitlu host22 com/art php?article=941453]Heavy equipment operator training schools
makamitlu host22 com/art php?article=651622]Interior heavy equipment school

mortcounhongdeth host22 com/art php?article=504367]Heavy equipment trade shows
mortcounhongdeth host22 com/art php?article=838038]Heavy equipment ontario
mortcounhongdeth host22 com/art php?article=868719]Carolina heavy machinery
mortcounhongdeth host22 com/art php?article=778133]Heavy equipment operator pay
mortcounhongdeth host22 com/art php?article=177995]Asphalt equipment

quonnetadil host22 com/art php?article=204855]Large machinery
quonnetadil host22 com/art php?article=840326]Used heavy equipments
quonnetadil host22 com/art php?article=772894]Heavyequipmenttrader com
quonnetadil host22 com/art php?article=678636]Heavy equipment exporters
quonnetadil host22 com/art php?article=152409]Heavy equipment supply

riderdescdop netne net/art php?article=432397]Oregon heavy equipment
riderdescdop netne net/art php?article=26908]Heavy equipment prices
riderdescdop netne net/ctg php?category=10&page=2]Gantry crane training
riderdescdop netne net/art php?article=393575]Heavy equipment jobs in alberta
riderdescdop netne net/art php?article=745945]Farm equipment for sale

tuewipimnay netne net/art php?article=777500]Heavy equipment dollies
tuewipimnay netne net/art php?article=761266]Specialty heavy equipment
tuewipimnay netne net/art php?article=393787]Caterpillar construction equipment
tuewipimnay netne net/art php?article=333017]Truck dealers
tuewipimnay netne net/art php?article=507973]Used construction machines

ysgifmadi netne net/art php?article=956941]Heavy equipment magazine
ysgifmadi netne net/art php?article=993783]Freightliner
ysgifmadi netne net/art php?article=18803]Used cat 966c
ysgifmadi netne net/ctg php?category=3&page=3]Heavy washing machine
ysgifmadi netne net/art php?article=29187]Backhoe rental rates

Good Advice

I always try to give short one sentence descriptions of the style of the beat, possibly which artists it could work for BUT NEVER COMPARE IT TO ANOTHER SONG OR ANOTHER PRODUCERS STYLE

Haha so I'm guessing I shouldn't include my two paragraph mission statement in emails?

just shorten it down a bit...one or two lines.. short phrases....not sentences maybe... I think a mission statement is great...in my situation for sure as I will only be selling to christian acts...
they can read my bio on myspace which I need to add lol

Back