Etiquette for Sending Music

Thank you for this useful post. It has been written in 2011 and these days it is even worse, therefore I'm trying to teach business etiquette to my customers. In the meantime everyone in my music group uses the same methods and it's easier to communicate with each other and in overall everyone saves time in the long run. I also noticed that since, some of my artists are being turned down by fewer record labels. The best thing about business etiquette is that is actually fun to write emails and communicate with people if certain rules are respected. On Facebook, the majority of people doesn't have etiquette and in the meanwhile I hate going on there for promotion and sales.

Do you guys usually enable download when you send via soundcloud for example?

And anyone know how long of a play they must do in order for soundcloud to make it statistically count as a play? Feels like loads of labels don't even open our emails =/ and you dont want to break the rule of resending heh

Being organised is like 60 procent of the job and it's so hard...inspiration and being organised don't mix well. At least for me....But that's a helpful thread

Another useful tip

Another overlooked rule of submitting songs is making sure you're submitting quality tracks. I listen to dozens of song submissions daily, and the first ones to get placed in the trash folder are the ones that sound like they were recorded through a computer microphone. Spend the money and go to a proper studio. Or, if you have your own QUALITY gear at home, spend the money and let someone mix the tracks for you.

You can check out other useful tips at garyearlproductions.com

Last edited:
I caught that ip3 thang too... lol But yes with running a station that is licensed, it is imperative that the mp3s have id3 tags. MediaMonkey is a free software that handles that great too. Now on the other side of the spectrum, none of that means anything unless you take the time to get yourself straight, such as signing up with Sound Exchange, a PRO, Nielsen BDS and Mediabase and target a lot of licensed radio stations like Live365 or even Pandora (now that they have made it easier). Get that straight too and then you can at least say you are making some sort of money from your music.

how many times I have done such idiotic things you listed above with major labels (Spinnin') only for them to get turned off and me left crying at my computer screen, useful thread

question, do you guys always send full mastered mp3s to multiple labels? I had some with interest in my tracks, i can only choose 1 but I dont want them other labels to misuse my tracks or something... How do you guys do it? just send short previews?

question, do you guys always send full mastered mp3s to multiple labels? I had some with interest in my tracks, i can only choose 1 but I dont want them other labels to misuse my tracks or something... How do you guys do it? just send short previews?

Always send full tracks. But there's a risk. You risk your music being used without you getting any compensation. My suggestion is that you make sure you send them music through a site that I believe can monitor you sending then music.

Back