Emails from A&R Managers - spam??

the.boy

Hi,

I have been producing hiphop beats and putting them online for sale (My own website, youtube, soundcloud). I have social accounts for it (instagram, twitter). I havent been doing this long, my beats are not that great but i do have quite a following already. I have been getting a few emails and wondering if these kind of emails are spam and everyone gets them? Today I received a long email from Warner Brother Records wanting me to send them 2 songs, various social links to review and pay a fee of $17. They will then decide if they should sign me, if they do they will fly me out, pay for accommodation etc etc. its a very long email but thats the basics. I have had a few of these kind of emails but this one just came in and looks very legit, although the fee is abit dodgy. Anyway, anyone else get these kind of emails? Are these just spam?

Nope, check the address and any links for clues. No $17 fee if a real label is soliciting your material.

The email itself looks legit. And is from 'Jeff Fenster'. The email contains a paypal.me link. Looks pretty dodgy, I suppose all emails like these that require a fee are all spam?

I would presume yes. There are some legit services that cost upfront $, but labels do not.

Back