EDMbiz 2015 - worth going?

mcr

Hi everybody,

I am currently thinking about attending this years EDMbiz in Las Vegas next month.

At the moment I am working as a composer/producer for a TV/radio station, but I am trying to get into electronic music, because the more I explore the music, the more I like it and admire it (composition, production, business attitude).
So my plan would be to try to network as much as possible over the course of this conference, attend the panels and learn about the industry and current trends.

The only thing that keeps me from buying my ticket at the moment are the associated costs. With flights (from Germany), hotel for 5 - 6 nights, admission and food it will definitely be a monetary investment for me. I recently graduated, so my funds are somewhat limited :)

What do you guys think?
Has anybody here attended EDMbiz in the past? If so, did you think it was worth it?
Are there plenty opportunities to network?
And would you recommend staying in the same hotel where the conference takes place?

Thanks so much for your input!

You're approaching this all backwards.

If you're impressed by the nature of the optic's of that genre...then bootstrap and BE in the biz.

You led with MONEY being the issue. Tighten up and accept the fact that real businessmen and women live a frugal lifestyle and bootstrap every dime into the biz.

This conference however is not a vital business asset. It is a liability in both your personal and business financial profile. We're talking a 4 figure affair to take a vacation. The "networking" and "market trend" opportunities can be had online and compounded if you actually had a financially stable business, quality content, a brand and generous brand awareness. Gather your own metrics. Take those 4 figures and start your biz.

Get your money up, learn to budget, develop great bookkeeping habits and actually have an intrinsic business purpose for going next year. Raise your profile and brand. Try to be invited and have your expenses paid for.

Start with Dave Ramsy's "Total Money Makeover" to get your personal financial life on track so you become a robust saver.

Then followup with MJ Demarco's "The Fastlane Millionaire" so that you get into business with a broad, pragmatic context.

Back