An easy way to make money by giving away your music for free.

SFTRAXX

West Coast Rap Producer
Whats good FP!

Since a lot of cats on the site want to make money from their music I thought I'd share a blueprint with y'all that will help you get paid.

Don't ever say I never gave you nuthin' lol

Check the technique:

Before you get started you need to do a few things:

1. Sign up with a PRO like ascap or bmi.
  2. Sign up with an online music distributor like Distrokid or CD baby.
  3. sign up for an account at a site like audiam or adrev.

Once that is done all you have to do is:

1. Make tons of beats/music and arrange it as an album or several albums.
  2. Publish it.
  3. Create a youtube channel or dedicated website for your music and promote it as "free youtube backing music" or "beats for video" etc.
  4. Collect royalties from ad plays on Youtube.

Thats it.

How it works [and makes you money]:

A lot of people need [free] background music for their YouTube videos and need a source to get it from. Same thing with rappers. They want to make music [with free beats] and eventually upload it to YouTube. Well, once your music is published, registered and available through the online retailers they will have bar codes and isrc codes assigned to them. Those codes are used to track your music. So, in addition to the royalties from sales you get from your PRO and the online retailers, when someone downloads your free beats / music and uploads the music to YouTube, ads will be placed on their videos because it "matches third party content" [your content] and these companies [adrev & audiam] will collect on your behalf and pay you money from the ads placed on the videos as well. You may also be eligible to collect from other places as well (maybe someone else can chime in on this) but I'm not too sure.

:cheers:

This is a very simple method that does require an initial investment but in the long run you should make a decent return on that investment and build your name up in the process. Plus: [the most beautiful part] your music gets out there and you still own it! <==== Just make sure you make this clear to the "free downloaders" of your music.

Lets be real. The chances of you becoming a millionaire overnight from this isn't very likely but on the road to riches all revenue streams add up. Please believe.

And there you have it.

Now go get it.

Peace~

Click here to follow me on instagram or twitter.

Last edited:
I have a question about this

What if a rapper downloads my beat, raps over it, then uploads it to Soundclock or Reverbnation without crediting me...will I still get paid these royalties you mention?

Do I need to track down every artist using my music, even if they are just uploading tracks to different mediums, or is it automatically done?

I have a question about this

What if a rapper downloads my beat, raps over it, then uploads it to Soundclock or Reverbnation without crediting me...will I still get paid these royalties you mention?

Do I need to track down every artist using my music, even if they are just uploading tracks to different mediums, or is it automatically done?

The short answer to your question is no.

Until all platforms use some similar form of content id, this method only applies to YouTube.

Just a question but isn't it kind of pointless in a sense. lets say you get Cd Baby which takes %9 ten adrev which takes %35. In the end that doest look too good.

If you look into some of these options and read the fine print you'll see there's money to be made if you do it right...

haven't been on here because I been on my Youtube game making doing just this and making social commentary videos
easy money!!!

Its funny how producers are posting how to do this when BeatStars taught the whole producer industry how to do this since 2012. Give credit to the originator of this new revenue stream and send people to use Content ID on BeatStars not other places. Producers need to learn how to stay loyal.

This is cool. I have an entire vault of Westcoast Music, and want to do this. I just received some ADAT transfers back and remixes. I need to partner up with someone though. I need a computer head This is overwhelming

Back