Doing a collab, how can I protect my share in profits the song may make?

[John Doe]

$-------$--------$
Do people really make their homies sign a royalty agreement? Should I do a contract per song or can I do a general agreement for any time he uses a beat I made? I'm trying to avoid copyrighting but even I did that doesn't specify royalties i'm entitled to....

PLEASE anyone who has actually done collabs have you done anything about this or are you leaving it up chance?

,thanks

you need to do a split sheet during the session that acknowledges who did what and what % they get for each part of the associated royalties

then if in the USA minimum is to register the copyright for each song - up to a cd's worth at a time in the USA via the library of congress copyright office for teh one time fee

Other jurisdictions allow registering with a PRO as assertion of your moral rights as author/creator of the copyright work, as in,

then register the (now copyrighted) work with your PRO of choice - BMI/ASCAP/APRA/Socan/Sesac/PRS/PPL/etc

Construct a contract stating the split of the collaboration. This ensures that the each of you are going to get a split, and provides legal evidence if an issue comes up regarding the splits. If it's something small that's between your friends and if you don't have a huge audience base, I'll say a verbal agreement is fine. (if you can trust him/her)
Remember, if you're suing for an amount under $500 in the US in small claims court, it's not really worth it.

Do people really make their homies sign a royalty agreement? Should I do a contract per song or can I do a general agreement for any time he uses a beat I made? I'm trying to avoid copyrighting but even I did that doesn't specify royalties i'm entitled to....

PLEASE anyone who has actually done collabs have you done anything about this or are you leaving it up chance?

,thanks

Do people really make their homies sign a royalty agreement?

Your homies should want to sign an agreement before conducting business. If they don't, find new homies...

Should I do a contract per song or can I do a general agreement for any time he uses a beat I made?

If you're working on a song then come to an agreement for that song. If it's a project then have an agreement for that project.

I'm trying to avoid copyrighting...

WTF, why?

Last edited:
Back