Does underground hip hop still have a chance?

crixbeats

I know most of the big hits of hip hop today are mostly mainstream/pop artists, but do underground artists still have a chance of getting a hit song like the 90's? I'm asking this because I question myself as an artist if I were to ever get somewhere. 95% of hip hop I listen to are artists like; Wu Tang Clan, Jedi Mind, Immortal Technique, Atmosphere, Slim Shady, Cypress Hill, you know. I know that they are all known today but that's because they were real big before hip hop met pop music. But what about now? Do you think people today can still get the respect and earnings of what it was like 10 years ago?

I know most of the big hits of hip hop today are mostly mainstream/pop artists, but do underground artists still have a chance of getting a hit song like the 90's?

You speak as if permission is needed to make good music. In today's industry, who cares about having a hit song on mainstream radio; especially, when you can be successful in ways the mainstream can fathom.

95% of hip hop I listen to are artists like; Wu Tang Clan, Jedi Mind, Immortal Technique, Atmosphere, Slim Shady, Cypress Hill, you know. I know that they are all known today but that's because they were real big before hip hop met pop music.

This is simply not true, these artist work their a*ses off. They all started doing things with no budget and, in some cases, no income. Their current success is well earned.

But what about now? Do you think people today can still get the respect and earnings of what it was like 10 years ago?

Ask yourself this...

Are you mainstream artist material? Do you have what it takes to be a mainstream artist? Do you even know what it takes?

Of coarse not, because you wouldn't have asked this question if you did. Instead, you'd be busy performing for people so they can buy your music and merch; because that's what major players are doing. In the 90's, most people where finding new music by listening to the radio or going to CD stores. Today however, people are finding new music through the social media and internet communication.

I know most of the big hits of hip hop today are mostly mainstream/pop artists, but do underground artists still have a chance of getting a hit song like the 90's? I'm asking this because I question myself as an artist if I were to ever get somewhere. 95% of hip hop I listen to are artists like; Wu Tang Clan, Jedi Mind, Immortal Technique, Atmosphere, Slim Shady, Cypress Hill, you know. I know that they are all known today but that's because they were real big before hip hop met pop music. But what about now? Do you think people today can still get the respect and earnings of what it was like 10 years ago?

what is your situation now..what are you doing to improve your career as an music artist
are you looking to be managed or are you looking to manage yourself
do you have a website??
are you using tools such as Reverbnation,CDbaby or Tunecore
do you read blogs and articles on indie music industry
learn to start at the grassroots level
and then once you have product that ppl want you can leverage for a deal with a mainstream label
or get a better deal money wise with a indie label

take me up on a free hour of consulting and I'll help you layout your goals and a timeline so your can start to develope your vision
click the banner in my sig

Probably not but u have to keep in mind that all of the stuff you mentioned was mainstream hip hop in the 90s. 90s hip hop was still very underground and was only starting to get mainstream attention in the late 80s and early 90s.

I'd have to say that solid underground/indie labels with the right formula actually make more money than most signed "majors". I'm working with Planetary from Outerspace on a single. We just shot a video, had the artwork, and mixed and mastered the joint. He just took off for a European tour. So not only is he selling albums, merch, etc. he's touring the globe doing what he loves and has a solid fan base that pays for music. Look @ Duckdown too. Their an independent label with an awesome track record in sales, licensing and corporate branding, etc.

Get your head out of the major label and music "success" cloud. Redefine what success is to you. Making $50K a year off music seems pretty solid to me... but some folks will chase those superficial million dollar pipe dreams all day.

Study Duckdown, Stonesthrow, Enemy Soil, Rhymesayers, etc. and pay attention to their formulas and how their artists get paid. Its not off 1 hit wonder and album sales.

I'd have to say that solid underground/indie labels with the right formula actually make more money than most signed "majors". I'm working with Planetary from Outerspace on a single. We just shot a video, had the artwork, and mixed and mastered the joint. He just took off for a European tour. So not only is he selling albums, merch, etc. he's touring the globe doing what he loves and has a solid fan base that pays for music. Look @ Duckdown too. Their an independent label with an awesome track record in sales, licensing and corporate branding, etc.

Get your head out of the major label and music "success" cloud. Redefine what success is to you. Making $50K a year off music seems pretty solid to me... but some folks will chase those superficial million dollar pipe dreams all day.

Study Duckdown, Stonesthrow, Enemy Soil, Rhymesayers, etc. and pay attention to their formulas and how their artists get paid. Its not off 1 hit wonder and album sales.

exactly
that's why I posted
learn to start at the grassroots level
and then once you have product that ppl want you can leverage for a deal with a mainstream label
or get a better deal money wise with a indie label

Back