Do you think that nowadays, is it possible for sample based producer to "make it"?

Gluee

Do you think that nowadays, is it possible for sample based producer to "make it"?

In current state of hip hop music, do you think it's possible to get signed to label while being strictly sample based producer? In styles of No ID or Just Blaze

Define "make it". If you mean, make tons of money off major placements, etc? Maybe not. But who wants to break their back trying? But there is still plenty of demand for sample based beats. I'd argue more than ever considering all the cornball synth shit out there. For singles w/ publishing potential... sampling is generally avoided, but if the track is ridiculous and a smash, they will clear it... and placements will ensue.

I think the idea of "making it" is relative. If you made $40,000 a year selling sample based beats online to indie rappers? I'd consider that success and "making it". But some people might feel unfulfilled that no one knew them outside of this niche.

There are plenty of musicians, producers, singers, etc. that make a living doing music that very few people have heard of. Fame is one thing, making a living off your craft is another. I'd take the second option if given a choice.

Back