Do you sell your beats?

superegobeats

Producer/Emcee
To all the producers on here, who actually sells their beats? Are your sales consistent, and what do you do to bring sales in?

:hello:

I haven't been able to sell my own beats in a while, due to a lack of production gear after the break-in last year. Since then I've been helping producers and artist sell their music, and will continue to do so until I get my studio back up.

Build a website and create a blog and online store to start with.

Blogs are a none intrusive way to get visitor to you online store of beat. I suggest using My Flash Store as you selling platform. Their store is most effective when embedded on a website. You could also create a contact me section so you local followers can schedule appointments with you, or whatever.

If you want to consistently sell your music, build a following of music makers who use or listen to beats. Most producers believe they're in a class of their own and insinuate they make music that sounds completely original. Usually, the reason they believe this is because that particular producer listens only to their own music. Once they realize that they're limiting their creativity, by shutting out the music of other producers, they usually change what they listen to. Therefore, my next suggestion is to continuously look for ways to improve the quality of your music.

Also, you need to get your money together so that you can buy marketing and promo, or pay your team for their work. Nobody with influence will want to help you for free, neither will most non-influential people. There are companies who claim who get you tons of followers; however, this method is ineffective because those followers don't know who you are. Most people follow blindly when online, which is bad for business. As a producer, you need your #followers to know you. Do this correctly and people will thank you for sending them your music, and will anticipate more releases from you as time goes on. Just stay consistent with your promo and marketing campaigns, and the results you seek will manifest from your efforts.

To all the producers on here, who actually sells their beats? Are your sales consistent, and what do you do to bring sales in?

:hello:

Im not selling yet.. Im giving away free beats i dont like but plenty people seem to like and come summer i'ma switch it up and sell everything... Ill have more time to promo.. Feel me.. And i'm also droppin a beat tape,,

Im not selling yet.. Im giving away free beats i dont like but plenty people seem to like and come summer i'ma switch it up and sell everything... Ill have more time to promo.. Feel me.. And i'm also droppin a beat tape,,

Prepare yourself to lose some fans, because you've already established the fact that you're giving away free beats. Losing those type of fans is good for your business. As long as you constantly and consistently search for more customers, you'll achieve the success you seek.

prepare yourself to lose some fans, because you've already established the fact that you're giving away free beats. Losing those type of fans is good for your business. As long as you constantly and consistently search for more customers, you'll achieve the success you seek.

i doubt i'll lose any some ppl complain that everyone is gonna use it cuz their free so i sell them exclusives.. Of never heard of shyt.. Got waay more beats that i post up.............

i doubt i'll lose any some ppl complain that everyone is gonna use it cuz their free so i sell them exclusives.. Of never heard of shyt.. Got waay more beats that i post up.............

Doubt or no doubt, it doesn't matter what your level of faith is. People are predictable when it comes to spending money on beats. Serious artists know what's required to release music to their fans for purchase. Anyone who's giving their beats away for free are devaluing their productions, rather they know it or not.

Ask yourself:

What are the benefits to getting a free beat from a new producer? How can a new producer make their productions benefit the people who receive them? And what’s in it for you as the producer of these free beats?

At the end of the day, bills need to be paid and you can't pay bills by giving away your business for nothing in return. This industry is full of inexperienced business people who're trying to start a business using music. I've been in the business of building businesses for over 12 years now, and this is what I know as fact. Are you ready...

People don't like change.

When you make a drastic change in your prices, people start looking to others who have the same prices their accustomed to paying. So if you've been getting customers based on the fact that your beats are free, they will feel mislead when the see that you're selling the beats. Customers will spread the word to their friends and families and everyone who wants free beats will go somewhere else. They will continue to do that until there's nowhere else to go for freebies.

Those who've been getting beats for free throughout their music careers don't see themselves buying beats. This is why you'll experience a decrease in customer traffic.

I network A LOT but it doesn't bring the money in for me. All I can seem to meet are broke rappers Lol.

If you're tired of meeting broke rappers, then start charging for your time. Money is a requirement for business relationships. Try this the next time you meet a broke, or broke d*ck rapper. Turn around and walk away in the middle of his or her "I'm broke" speech. The fact is that most rappers have anywhere between $10 - $50 they can access at any given time. Don't believe any rappers who say they don't have money.

Also, get your money up. Producers usually assume that rappers are broke because the producer has no money. Don't make the mistake of assuming that everyone else in the same financial position you're in. Stop lowering your prices and stop giving away free beats. If you're truly financially poor, ask yourself this one question.

Can I afford to give away free beats when I need the money?

Doubt or no doubt, it doesn't matter what your level of faith is. People are predictable when it comes to spending money on beats. Serious artists know what's required to release music to their fans for purchase. Anyone who's giving their beats away for free are devaluing their productions, rather they know it or not.

Ask yourself:

What are the benefits to getting a free beat from a new producer? How can a new producer make their productions benefit the people who receive them? And what’s in it for you as the producer of these free beats?

At the end of the day, bills need to be paid and you can't pay bills by giving away your business for nothing in return. This industry is full of inexperienced business people who're trying to start a business using music. I've been in the business of building businesses for over 12 years now, and this is what I know as fact. Are you ready...

People don't like change.

When you make a drastic change in your prices, people start looking to others who have the same prices their accustomed to paying. So if you've been getting customers based on the fact that your beats are free, they will feel mislead when the see that you're selling the beats. Customers will spread the word to their friends and families and everyone who wants free beats will go somewhere else. They will continue to do that until there's nowhere else to go for freebies.

Those who've been getting beats for free throughout their music careers don't see themselves buying beats. This is why you'll experience a decrease in customer traffic.

- You might be right... but people already hit me up wanting to buy beats.. all the time.. but at the end of the day people will always PAY FOR QUALITY MUSIC and thats what i deliver

I sell beats and do pretty good with independent clients. No major placements, infact... I think you can be quite "successful" in the music business if you don't get caught up in the fantasy of chasing placements and major hits. There is money to be made if you establish the right brand and contacts. IMO

I sell beats and do pretty good with independent clients. No major placements, infact... I think you can be quite "successful" in the music business if you don't get caught up in the fantasy of chasing placements and major hits. There is money to be made if you establish the right brand and contacts. IMO

Most definitely...

Sales is a numbers game, and everyone has different numbers. Let's assume you need to meet 100 new people per day in order to get 3 sales. This means in a month's time you need to meet approximately 3000 people in order to sell 90 beats. Selling 90 beats at $15 per lease will make you $1350 per month, just from selling your beats.

I'm currently reaching about 200 new people per day, and have about 1000 people visiting my website; also daily.

See? It's a numbers game and all you need to do is find your numbers. Maybe you need to meet a thousand new people per day, two thousand or an even twenty thousand people. If you want to make money selling your beats, then you must do what it takes. Just apply yourself and things will become apparent.

just want to say, thank you JC for your knowledge.

met a publicist recently, now I have a manager. Needless to say all of a sudden big opportunities are showing their face. Costing me 10 percent of what I make from these endeavors but hey, I wouldn't be here without them anyways.

Keep in mind, you have to be serious about what you do. Conduct yourself professionally. You think an MC will take you seriously if you're talking like an illiterate ***?
Be calm, be in control. Remember, you are selling something. music. And it's in your control as to who get's it and what they do with it.
And for ****s sake, i you want to SELL tracks, stop GIVING tracks away for FREE, tagged or untagged...it's ineffective IMO.
I see cats pull the "people like free" card all the time.
Yeah, because that's what they're willing to purchase if you GIVE THEM that option, something FREE. Honestly, how many complaints about "MASSIVE amount of DLs, almost NO sales" stories have you read?
Value your work. If you can't, you must suck at what you do, are drastically similar to someone who does it better than you (clone producers...I'm talking to you) and/or you need to grow some balls and gain self esteem.
Or you're caught up busting a lemming maneuver following what every other mofo is doing.

Back