Do you really need a music publisher?

Great info guys especially dvyce.....a ? I have is what other moneys do publishers collect? Besides placement money? And as a songwriter and producer are there ways to go about ensuring your paid for your services?

Just to clarify... The point is not so much that they "collect" money that you are owed for random stuff you may be doing (although, they do, since everything "publishing related" will go through them)...

...what they do is actually try to make your music make money and put you into situations where your music will make money and where you will make money with music.

I'm pretty sure SESAC won't deal with you unless you are with a publishing company (including your own).

ASCAP and BMI will just keep that 50% for themselves.

This I think is what the original poster wanted answered. I was wondering the same thing do I need a publishing company or will ASCAP keep the 50.0 it shows alotted for the music publisher when I register my titles.

What do you think is the best way to come in contact with a music publisher?

This I think is what the original poster wanted answered. I was wondering the same thing do I need a publishing company or will ASCAP keep the 50.0 it shows alotted for the music publisher when I register my titles.

What do you think is the best way to come in contact with a music publisher?

No.

If you do not have a "publishing deal" or "publishing contract", then YOU are the publisher.

YOU collect all the publishing money. It ALL goes to you.

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

New question...
So if I'm the "publisher" does that mean I am the only person who gets to say where that "song" "appears"?

Last edited:
Music publishing is a process, keeping up with mechanical and performance royalty rates. This also involves the marketing of songs With knowledge and research, a person can easily establish the own publishing company.

Just to clarify... The point is not so much that they "collect" money that you are owed for random stuff you may be doing (although, they do, since everything "publishing related" will go through them)...

...what they do is actually try to make your music make money and put you into situations where your music will make money and where you will make money with music.

Correct. If all you're looking for is the first part of the above quoted then you can strike an Admin pub deal (usually in the 20% cut range) instead of the full blown pub deal

The key is finding the ones who know something you don't and can get you places you cannot get yourself. If not, they're taking a chunk of your profit doing nothing for you that you couldn't do for yourself, in which case you are being cheated...unless you simply pay them because you don't want to/don't have the time to do these things.

great post

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Consultants, PR, promoters, etc usually ask for money in advance. managers, publishers, etc are usually back end money.

another excellent post

Back