Do you publish or copyright beats?

lillody

Do you publish a beat with ASCAP / BMI or do you copyright a beat with SR Form?

Or do you do both?

Please help

I want to upload some beats on YouTube and don't want them stolen [ happened to me before (some ass was selling my beats on sound click )]

If you are in the US and have an affiliation with ASCAP or BMI, you do both (that is, file Copyright with the Library of Congress, and submit the song/instrumental piece to your performance rights organization).

That won't prevent idiots from trying to steal your material (see a thread here at FP where a major artists jacked someone's beat), but it will give you the strongest legal protection if they do...

GJ

Don't do either.

Just make beats for the love of it. All of that business stuff just takes time away from making bangers. Do you think Drake or Nicki Minaj copyrights or publishes their own music? They got people to handle that for them.

Just focus on getting beats to the artists. They will handle all of that other stuff. Nobody is going to rip you off. Even if they do, big deal. Just make something hotter!

Last edited:
The last post is kinda bad advice. I get the part about focusing on just making music and getting it out there but at minimum sending your beats out for copyright is a good idea for sure. It can't hurt and in reality it's in your best interest. If you got 20 cuts done do the form and send it in for copyright (its cheaper if you do multiple tracks at one time.) good luck

Do the songs have to be in cd palyer playable mode or just files on a mp3 disc like a mp3 disc?
Reason why I am asking is because I want to put over like 300 files on dual layer -DVD- disc and copyright them.
Whats the best way to send them in? As masters where each sound is in its on wav 9 which could take up a lot of space) or is just the waved out project fine?
And should or do I really need to have a tag in my beats especially before copyrighting them?

You guys are too focused on business aspects. How many people are trying to buy music from you? That is the question.

All of the business stuff can be learned in books. That stuff is not hard to figure out. You guys should be more worried about how to monetize your music. If you do not know how to make money, the business stuff will not be useful anyway.

Nobody that is making serious music moves is going to steal beats off Soundclick pages. Stop worrying about what bad stuff could happen and actually make something good happen.

This is kind of a no-brainer. If you're worried about your music being stolen, yes.. register a copyright. If you want to get your royalties if and when an artist actually goes through the correct means to register their song with a PRO, then yes.. Submit the song info to your PRO.

Of course Drake doesn't handle this stuff. Dude doesnt even order his own Cosmopolitans at the bar. He has a well-paid team. But if you're small-time, these are things you end up handling yourself. It takes mere minutes to file these items online. Very easy, and as I said, very obvious.

I have about 8 different artist that buy beats from me. Probably only because I sell them so cheap. They're nothing big but like I keep reading, you never know what people are capable of.
My main reason for setting everything up is just experincing a friends whole royalties setup! He said he made sure everythings setup right first because he learned from his father which now is desiesed that he is the heir of all his royalties!
I am thinking about my kids in a strong way as in what if!!!!
I have been workinf on music for over 10 years mainly as a hobby since I never made any money off of it. But about a year ago I got serious about making beats for creating my own digital product to sale! So I will be placing instrumental beat cd mixtapes on cd baby which distributes everywhere for $1.99 a track with 50/50 owner royalties to anybody hoping to shop!
I will be advertising and marketing to all parts of entertainment tv, radio,commericals, youtube, movies artist. Check me out and subscribe to my youtube page..

Yup but what i mean is just always had a studio setup and worked with a lot of people who just wanted to record music. I really was to busy in the streets like all the good rappers i knew. I still got all my old files to! But there analog to me. I learned in high school how to make beats but 14 years later its all really a blur. I only been making real instrumental beats like that one for like a week now in the correct industry standard way. Everybody allways said i was missing something in my beats but never told me wat guess cuz they didnt know. Now they loving them and everybody getting in tuned. But found a dude on youtube doing some good tutorials that i could comprehend and just start watching and really writing down sticky notes all over my screen! Why did you ask? Do i suck? Is it worth $2.99 with 50/50 royalties? I really didnt even tweak any of the sounds because they were out of a custom kit.

Back