Do you own music 100% if you use vsts?

Swimn'n Bird

A stupid question probably but I can't seem to find it asked, was wondering, if legally, you own your music 100% if you used a companies Vst, or something like that? Given you bought the software legally.

Via copyright laws, and by almost every user agreement with software and sample companies, you have no worries about music that you create using any specific (legal and legally obtained!) samples, presets, or software. What they don't want you to do is to repackage the sample, setting, or plug-in as your own product and sell it separately. But you can write tunes all day with any of those sounds and that's fine, nobody has an additional claim on your copyright.

(Disclaimer-- not an attorney in this, or any other country)

GJ

Sampling is legal. No selling or claiming as your own work and it has to be for educational purposes or those other purposes listed on Wikipedia such as fair use and satire.
Using vsts is not sampling, so no that is not an issue either. Especially when synthesis is involved as that is complete sound generation at it's most barebones level.

I hope I didn't confuse anybody. As an all-in answer, I did conflate the terms vst/synthesis, sampling, preset, software, and by extension, loops and other "production work materials."

It is not the materials themselves that are "legal" or not, it is there use that is legal or not. In the example above, and in answer to the OP's original question-- yes, he would own the music he writes with any vst/synth/plug-in. But I'd be careful with a blanket statement such as "sampling is legal." That might give people the wrong idea. Sampling what? Sampling something from a record, CD, movie/DVD, or sampling peoples voices live (on the street, or in a live setting such as a concert or play, or from the radio, for instance)? You might think so, but you'd need permission; this ground has been covered 1,000,000,000,000,000 times here on this site, and on many others. Sampling birds, trucks going by, machinery, various instruments and sound sources? Yes (usually).

Most people, accidentally or intentionally misunderstand and misuse the "fair use" clause-- that is for educational purposes (formal education and scholarly inquiry, in a classroom or academic setting), or for newsworthy or news-based broadcast and print media use. Also legitimate satire or parody. But just because you want to use something does not make it "fair use." Nor does it have anything to do with whether or not you are "making any money off of it." Copyright ownership is copyright ownership. It gives and reserves for the bearer exclusive _rights_ to make _copies_ of the creation/idea/actualized concept in-question.

These are thorny questions, very often misunderstood by even those working at various levels in the music industry and other areas of the "culture biz." But again, in response to the OP, yeah, you're ok using vsts for your productions. Just don't try to pass off the software as your own and/or act as an unauthorized re-seller. This is usually the crux of the average user's agreements that accompanies such software.

GJ

Back