Do you believe...

adde

Do you believe that if I got my chops together and became better than Skrillex, Deadmau5 and the likes that I'd have the possibility to get far? With the popular structure, an origian sound.

I'm sitting here with my wino.

And I know that I would put in 16-hour days for this if I just knew. Despite the fact that I know I can't know, so I'm just curious.

Anybody from the industry here? If I could make hit-like productions reliably, would I just be another one in the pond or would I be able to make it just by being able to do that.

I guess that is the main question, becouse I kind of want to go ahead with my design studies, but I feel like my soul is slowly sucked dry not knowing the business, because I know I'd spend the time and energy. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating when I say 16hours, but 10h is no darn exaggeration.. It isn't. I feel like music is the only thing I could truly master.

[/wino] But you get where I'm going... The winos words are true albeit dramatical.

The fact you mentioned Skrillex and Deadmau5 indicates you'll never surpass them and will always be in their far shadow.

Don't take that as a diss, take it as a word of advise. You'll never "get further than *fill in the blank*" because there's no constant scale to measure success on.

You can go as far as YOU are meant to go by being the best YOU that you can be.

I get you. I'm doing my own stuff. I get it, you can't create something new on someone else's grave(or living person). They are just musicians I like. I don't create all dubstep or Deadmau5'ish tracks.

Musicians that have influenced me are Bloc Party, Devin Townsend (and Strapping Yound Lad), Björk, Your Headlights Are On, Debussy, Miles, Imogen Heap(/Frou Frou), Mew, Muse, Magnet, Ling Tosite Sigure, Michael Bublé or whatever feels right. I'm not an all house/Skrillex guy.

What else would you inquire about than a divergent taste in music? (Musical recommendations would be great as well :) )

PS: deRaNged: I see where you're going regardig skrillex and Deadmau5. I guess I'm inquiring what industry people would require from you.

PSPS: I'm not an all electronic guy. I sing, play the guitar, bass, some keyboard, violin, etc.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

I've been o.b.s.e.s.s.i.v.e. about music(in general) since I was 13. I only mention D&S as examples. (I'm 22 now)

To learn ned VST(/i)'s I would watch every tutorial on the net if I needed to... And hey man.. I hacked my schools computers when I was 14. I just need to either get this out of my head and focus on something which will give me a job (I'm creative, and I know as much as my teachers within the adobe suite)

But I just can't get this out of my head. And... I guess nothing's gonna change that.. Really. I mean. Music is like heroin to me. (And tutorials are my speed)

Last edited:
The short answer is yes. The long answer... well there is no way to answer this question because there are so many factors involved. Keep grinding and enjoy what you do.

^^^That's what I was implying. You just wanna enjoy the ride and see where it takes you.

Hard work and determination goes far, but trying to rush to your destiny will just leave you standing around waiting for it to catch up with you. Not trying to sound like a philosophical douche, lol, but as I read back what I'm typing, that's what I'm sounding like.

I've done music since I was about 12. Gotten so close I knew I had arrived tons of times...the second I said "f**k it, I'm just gonna make music and have fun doing it." I stumbled into a way to live off music. Evertytime since them I see an opportunity and get really focused on it, it falls through. But when things are looking bad, I open my mailbox or paypal and find a decent azz check for something I did B.S.ing around that I had forgot I had done.

May sound like B.S. advice, just telling you what worked for me was to stop making deadlines and spreadsheets to follow a path to success, and start making magic doing what you enjoy. Magic is the most valuable and intangible thing on this earth. You can't prep and devise to make it, it just happens when everything falls into place.

Back